Learning curve question

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

Over the past almost 2 years, I have tried to tailor most of my fishing to strictly fly fishing. Prior to that, I spin fished a great deal and tried to "play" with my fly rods but not seriously.

I have enjoyed my 5wt and I have an 8 wt. I want to use for bigger flies. My issue is that I don't get the casting distance when throwing bigger poppers, crayfish and other streamers. That said, is it my casting or the line wt?

Please assist.

Sounds more like the leader and tippet and their lengths and weights are the issue. The 8wt should be able to handle them with very little resistance. Also the heavier the fly the harder it is to get the j loop needed to cast properly. For me I have to slow down and add more power in my casts at the same time.

I make my own set ups with leftover lines starting with a 3-4' leader (let's say 17lb mono) to a 5' of 10 or 14lb line. It all depends on what I'm casting. If it is hitting me in the back side I keep adjusting the weight of line and lengths.

An 8 weight should be more than sufficient to throw almost any freshwater poppers or crayfish sized streamers. (In fact almost any streamer short of musky flies, and will probably throw them as well.)

How does the rod cast with no fly attached? (It's just possible that there's a line/rod mismatch.) If it cast ok then, it's your casting. The timing is a bit different (for me at least) when throwing heavier flies; you may need to wait a bit longer on the backcast.

redietz wrote:
The timing is a bit different (for me at least) when throwing heavier flies; you may need to wait a bit longer on the backcast.
Remember when you spin fished a heavier bait or weight than what the rod could handle and you wanted to toss it with a roll of the wrist?

Let the backcast "develop".

At least this is always in my head with heavier weights.

all of the suggestions above could be correct. Would have to see your set up. I cast alot of large bugs. For me I use maxima clear for leader. It is nice and stiff. I would use a 6' leader. 2' of 30 lb. 2' of 20 lb. and 2' of 12 lb. Sometimes for really large deer hair bugs I may even use 15 lb tippet. As mentioned above slow down casting stroke.
Open up casting loop a bit as well. Most warm water fish are not leader shy. So don't hesitate to use a heavy tippet. You will need it to turn over large flies. If I am casting over weeds or lilly's I may even use a 6' pc. of 20 lb maxima. And that's it. Less knots means less tangles with weeds.

Good luck,

GenCon

All advice above is great...
But... a big, wind resistant popper will always be more difficult to cast than a smaller, streamlined bug...

Here are some casting methods that could help. I don't practice them enjoy to be any good. hauls

Thank you to all. It appears that I have come to the right place for success

The success is up to you. We cannot provide an absolute answer to the question because of all the variables involved:
Flyrod type from length to action to different company makes
Flylines (Same as above) and floating or sinking
Leader/Tippet (Same as above)
Weight of fly/streamer/nymph/popper.
Your casting abilities.

All we can do is advi and send you back out again to test. So keep on laying down some line - make adjustments - and try try again.

Getting out this weekend... I hope

PennypackFlyer wrote:
The success is up to you. We cannot provide an absolute answer to the question because of all the variables involved:
Flyrod type from length to action to different company makes
Flylines (Same as above) and floating or sinking
Leader/Tippet (Same as above)
Weight of fly/streamer/nymph/popper.
Your casting abilities.

All we can do is advi and send you back out again to test. So keep on laying down some line - make adjustments - and try try again.

+1

Well... new reel and going to try to catch some fish. Thanks for everything

Loading the rod on both the back cast and the forecast is the key. I cast some pretty heavy flies with my 4 wt and 6 wt rods, no problem.
On the backcast you have to feel the line load the rod, before starting the forecast, and on the forecast you have to feel the line pulling on the rod.

Back