Leaky waders worn by an Idiot

I feel like zippers on waders are like sunroofs on cars. Holes where there don’t need to be holes.
Yes, they're unnecessary IMO. Just added weight and mechanical complexity.

The subject line describes every time I go fishing....

Man, I really need to get new waders.
Think I'm up to five holes so far, mostly from fly hooks that got launched into my waders. Gonna wet wade today, shouldn't be too bad.

Wasn’t Bluetooth a dog on the Soupy Sales Show?

White Fang to be exact...

Not to be confused with Black Tooth or Pookie... ;)
My favorite Soupy Sales character was Onions Oregano.

If you don't mind me asking your age, how old are you? At times I seem to suffer from premature humility. The best was loading the boat, loading the rods and making sure I had everything perfect. Setting out on a mission to fish a sulfur hatch that I drove three and a half hours to get to. Opened up my tackle bag and I had left my sulfur box sitting on the stove in the kitchen.... at home. Needless to say I wasn't very successful trying to get the fish to eat what I was offering and I was too stubborn to go buy some flies at the local shop

If you don't mind me asking your age, how old are you? At times I seem to suffer from premature humility. The best was loading the boat, loading the rods and making sure I had everything perfect. Setting out on a mission to fish a sulfur hatch that I drove three and a half hours to get to. Opened up my tackle bag and I had left my sulfur box sitting on the stove in the kitchen.... at home. Needless to say I wasn't very successful trying to get the fish to eat what I was offering and I was too stubborn to go buy some flies at the local shop

In the Summer I often just wear sandals to/from fishing in the car. One more than a few occasions I’ve forgotten to pack a pair of socks for fishing/wearing under waders, and have accumulated a collection of crappy dollar store socks in the process, from stopping on the road to buy a pair for the day.

Solution I came up with: I now put a pair of socks in the glove box of all my vehicles. Just did it again this past weekend, wore sandals for some unknown reason, but was saved by the pair in the glove box. (Now I just need to remember to replace them. Doing that now as a matter of fact.)

Solution for you: Keep a few Sulphurs in all your boxes. I do. I feel like from early May through July, or beyond, there’s Sulphurs, or something that looks a Sulphur hatching across most of PA. Not in huge numbers necessarily, but enough that I have a token stash of them in all my boxes, except my dead of Winter chuck and duck nymph box.

That would make me prepared and I don't know if I can go through life like that 🤣🤣

So...... This one should tell everyone that I should not be allowed to leave home without my handler. Got up at 4:30 am to drive to the Poconos. I was trying out a bunch of new equipment and tactics (for another post). Tried out my Orvis waders with the recently installed zipper. After I suited up I had to relieve myself. The zipper was perfectly placed and worked like a charm. After fishing for a hour, I got hung up in a branch (again!). I had to wade deep to get it out and my waders started taking on water. SOB! I was planning a nasty letter to the installer when I noticed the barn door was open! They worked much better after the zipper was fully shut! BTW, water temp was 42. Please do not let me handle sharp objects. 🙄
Did you get a zipper that's low, and installed sideways?
Was thinking that it might be harder to see it that way, compared to regular up/down zippers

My brothers friend and him drove up to Big Fishing creek and the guy got in the water and had a huge leak. He got out, took off his soaked pants, borrowed my brothers hip boots and fished all day in his undershorts.

If you are referring to me, I’m closer to 74 than 73. I actually booked a hotel room at the same hotel on the same weekend with 2 different booking services.

Did you get a zipper that's low, and installed sideways?
Was thinking that it might be harder to see it that way, compared to regular up/down zippers
Yep. Side to side. Tempted to wade full commando under my waders.

I have had the "sideways" zipper installed by Bill A. 7 years ago. Wouldn't be without it now. And yes I forgot to fully close the zipper ONCE.

Troutbert is quite technically advanced for a 13th Century kind of guy. 🤫

I feel like zippers on waders are like sunroofs on cars. Holes where there don’t need to be holes.

Water is a worthy adversary.
When you get older, you may feel differently.....

Back