leaking waders

I've tried to find leaks in waders by filling them with water and seeing if any seeps out. Not that easy to do if you're looking for a leak higher up the leg but if you think it's down low you may want to try that. You're not likely to find a leak in neoprenes with the flashlight and forget about the suggestions to use rubbing alcohol. Been a long time since I owned a pair of neoprene waders. I think to repair them you usually had to put a neoprene patch over the leak. Seem to recall a pair I bought from Cabelas came with patching materials.

If they're leaking that much, do yourself a favor and replace them with a pair of breathable waders. I wouldn't wear neoprene unless I was a hardcore winter steelhead fisherman and even then, I'm not sure.

Seams are tough to repair compared to your basic puncture from a thorn, barbed wire, etc.

gfen wrote:
FiveWeight wrote: Go out and buy a can of this clear Flex-Seal you see on TV.This is a product that works as advertised.

As someone who repaired waders until there was more surface space covered in patching material than there was original material, this stuff is useless.

And yes, I tried it. Inside and out. It wears off when you move. At most it'll buy you a day.

Goop is close enough to Aquaseal that I don't need to spend the premium for a "wader specific' product. Maybe you don't mind spending the money.

Shoe Goo is the same stuff, jsut thicker.

Silicon sealant works if you're bored and have a tube laying around, but will begin to peel back.

Enough duct tape will seal it, but will peel off the seams. Works for a hole patch, though, although eventually (especially if it's cold), it will fall off. Easy answer is just put more on top of what's there.

Don't forget to keep your last waders around for a steady source of patching material.

Goop is by far the cheapest, workable, solution. If it's actually your seams that are leaking, just apply liberally up and down in the effected area.

https://www.mcnett.com/gearaid/aquaseal#10110

http://www.walmart.com/ip/38470711?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227026492948&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=52592384351&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=84472807031&veh=sem

afishinado wrote:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/38470711?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227026492948&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=52592384351&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=84472807031&veh=sem

3/4 oz = $7.50
2oz = $6.58

To buy 2oz of Aquaseal would be $20.

Of course, regular Goop is $5.90 for 3.7oz at Sprawlmart making it even better than Shoe Goo. That much AquaSeal would be $37.50.

I'd rather use more of a "lesser" product to ensure decent coverage than sparingly with the expensive stuff, especially if I'm smearing it down the seams or just using it to apply and cover a patch piece.

YMMV.

^ I'm not looking to coat my deck and patio....what kinda leak are you fixin? If you need that much goo, goop or A-seal to fix a leak, you really need a new pair of waders.

http://www.orvis.com/silver-sonic-fishing-waders

Hah. I should show you what's left of my old pair to establish my bonafides as a wader repairman.

I did cut the neoprene feet off to use as socks when wet wading, though.

I tried the flash light trick couldn't find any holes my waders are heavy neoprene from Cabelas so I think it might be in the seam will try goop on seam hope for the best

Turn the waders inside out, then get a hose and start filling them with water. Have a few Kleenex around to wipe around the outside (actually the inside) and the leak will be evident.

Use a Sharpie to circle the hole(s). Empty the water out of the waders, turn them right-side out and allow to dry and then use Goop or whatever on both the inside & outside of the holes and allow to dry.

Brian - neoprene waders are a closed-cell foam, but with a lot of usage, the cell structure breaks down. Then the compromised network allows channels to form through the beast. So the water leaks will often traverse a good way from the outside to the inside. These are a bear to find if they are small and basically you would have worn the thing plumb out.

Anyone ever try the camp dry aerosol type stuff? I've got an old pair of ll bean neoprenes that my well to do old landlord threw out and I snatched up. Gave them a couple coats of that around the seams and they've been bone dry for about a year now. Used it on my neoprene kayak skirt too and that has been beading up water ever since as well. Just a suggestion.

Back