Leaders

Paulson

Paulson

How often should you change your leaders out? I usually keep mine on for sometime before I replace it, usually because I start getting into the taper.

Also, does anyone use fluorocarbon for their own leaders?

Thanks

Very seldom and even less now that I use tippet rings.

Foxgap239 wrote:

Tippet rings are awesome...mono to the ring, flouro from ring to fly

What is a tippet ring. I use leaders for a very long time, at least a season. I buy a tapered leader, if I get to the tapered portion, I simply tie a new section on of the original size of the end and then add the tippet.
I use 9 foot tapered leader that is 3X, then tie on a piece of 4x, and then the terminal tippet, usually 5x or 6x.

I'm a tippet ring guy. I prefer the 2mm size. I do mostly dry fish fishing and have issues with them.

Thanks for the help! I might start making my own with mono and fluoro

PhilC wrote:
Foxgap239 wrote:

Tippet rings are awesome...mono to the ring, flouro from ring to fly
I build all my leaders and do the same thing but use mono to fly for dries and flouro to fly for nymphs. I have been using tippet rings for about 5 years and agree they are awesome. :)

Personally, since I bought a few leaders from cutthroat (ad on the sideboard of this forum) I don't know that I will ever go back.

They lay out straight on all my casts, they have high-viz colors you can use as a strike indicator.

They have an option for all their leaders for tippet rings, which are the best invention since sliced bread.

just my $.02

Steve,

Looks like Cutthroat stopped advertising here. You're referring to their furled leaders. I use the following and love them.

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?store=feacraft&action=category_view&target=200

Started using furled this year and will never go back.

englishprof wrote:
Steve,

Looks like Cutthroat stopped advertising here. You're referring to their furled leaders. I use the following and love them.

http://www.feather-craft.com/wecs.php?store=feacraft&action=category_view&target=200

Started using furled this year and will never go back.

I use them a lot also, but there are times that I think it makes more sense to use specialized leaders. Especially when nymphing. Tippet rings are great.

Thank's Prof, didn't realize they stopped supporting here.

But 100% agree, I can't see me stop using them.

Start the day tie 4-6 foot of tippet on the ring and hit the stream. So easy.

I have a fluro leader that I used today with fluro tippet for nymphing...it just vanished. Great nymph set up, but I'll build my own next time instead of spending the money on fluro leaders.

+1 on the furled leaders. I have been using one for a number of years. I just tie off of the tippet ring with whatever size tippet and length that I want. They turn over great, are very durable and take a lot of frustration out of changing tippets, tying blood knots etc. while on the stream. The bottom line is you spend much more time fishing than screwing around with leaders. I have used them from everything from fishing tricos to Smallmouth and everything in between. I absolutely love them for their simplicity.

I personally build my own leaders, allows me to adapt to different situations on the fly. I usually nymph fish/midge fishing, so all my leaders are tied till 7x. If I need to go bigger or smaller I can either cut back to a bigger section or tie in another section to go smaller. I dispose of all my leaders after a year of usage. And if any knot is frayed, or Knicks in the tippet I will replace the whole section.

mushumatt wrote:
I personally build my own leaders, allows me to adapt to different situations on the fly. I usually nymph fish/midge fishing, so all my leaders are tied till 7x. If I need to go bigger or smaller I can either cut back to a bigger section or tie in another section to go smaller. I dispose of all my leaders after a year of usage. And if any knot is frayed, or Knicks in the tippet I will replace the whole section.

Do you have a formula I can use?

I've been using tippet rings for a double nymph rig lately...just tie on two tippets.... one long and one short. Keep your tippet rings on a safety pin. Its a good way to store them and it gives you something to hold on to when tying to your leader and tippet. This will save you a lot of worries if you have to tie one on at the stream.

tippet rings=poop

go to walmart, buy (10) 1.96, fairplay leaders that are 7.5 ft. Get (5) at 5x, and (5) at 3x...

Go to local fly shop, purchase spools of 0, 2, 5, 6x mono, preferably rio powerflex. To fill the gaps, also purchase 3 and 4x flouro of your choice.

tie pefection loop to butt section of leader

loop to loop connect leader to 6'' section of 20 lb. mono that is pre-nail knotted to your fly line.

***nymphs, wets, dries.... attach 3 feet of 5 or 6x tippet to your 5x leader using triple surgeon. Fish until 1.5 ft remains and triple surgeon another 2 feet on. When this become short, clip off original knot, and you still have 7.25 ft left from the original leader. Repeat this process until you see butt.***

one leader should last you a few outings.

Streamers/heavy flies... use same approach, but use desired length of 3 or 4x flouro to your 3x leader.

the whole building your leaders w. maxima crap is a waste of time in my eyes and once you buy all your tippet, it will last you a long time.

Steve I agree in most cases a premade leader will be easier over time. And when I'm teaching a friend to fly fish or going to have fun I use a premade leader. But if I'm getting down and technical with my fishing, especially on larger streams. I find leaders I have built for special occasions will do better then a pre made. Harvey's slack leader is the best example. It allows me noticeably more drag free drift in more complex multiple currents areas.

mush,

in that instance, I simply cut to my butt section and one long section of 5 x... same thing, a lot easier.

Back