Leaders help

FlyMaster99

FlyMaster99

How long do you guys make your leaders and what size do you use I could use the advice, thanks.

There is no hard rule. If it turns over and doesn't spook fish it's right! Typically they're 7-12'. You can lengthen or build a shorter one to suite your needs.

As for tippet I used quite a bit of 7-8x while I was visiting. The fish will dictate what's too heavy. I generally start with 5x. If you're getting refusals and it's not your bug or drag, try a size or two lighter tippet.

I usually buy 9 ft tapered to 5x. I add another length of about 2.5 ft 5x tippet to that for most of my dry fly fishing.
Occasionally go down to 6x or 7x for picky trout or fishing tricos or midges. For real small streams I use a 7.5 ft. leader.
I've been buying hand tied leaders from a small PA company and I am happy with them but the tapered leaders from any of the big companies are fine.
The debate about fluorocarbon vs. nylon goes on but I've tried both and feel no need to spend the extra for fluorocarbon.
I buy large 100 yd spools of tippet material from Cabelas.

For a easy set-up I use a 7.5' 3X tapered leader and add 4X and 5X.

I add about 18 inches of 4X and 5X. After all the knots are tied and tag ends trimmed that gives you about a 10' leader which is pretty standard for a 8.5' or 9, rod.

If you focus on nymphing I would probably go a little shorter.

This set-up will also allow you to add more 5X and eventually more 4X.

Agree with the above - it depends on what you are fishing for and what flies you are using.

A good general guideline is about 8 feet in length. Leaders taper in size. Where it attaches to the fly line (this is called the "butt") it will be thicker, roughly about 20 pound test line monofilament. As you progress toward the tip it will taper to a thin size that connects to the fly (this thin end is called the "tippet"). The tippet will likely be in the range of 3 lb test to up to 8 lb test.

Also something that will help because I was new not to long ago. Get yourself some 2 - 3 mm tippet rings from amazon or ebay. After you retie a few times you've lost a foot or two of tippet and then have to try and tie more on using a blood knot or surgeons knot, which isn't all that bad but now I use tippet rings after I break off a foot or two of tapered leader and then you can just tie on a ring and you will always be able to tie on new tippet extremely quickly.

Also they float, which is an added bonus if you have to change to a dry fly quickly!

Buying a furled leader with tippet ring is another option. Tie on 2 1/2 - 4 ft of tippet and go. As you nip back the tippet just add to, or replace, tippet.
Many options for leaders.

MKern wrote:
For a easy set-up I use a 7.5' 3X tapered leader and add 4X and 5X.

That's solid advice.

Bigcountry makes a good suggestion about the tippet rings.

This chart might help the OP out.
http://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/choosing-equipment/equipment-articles/474-how-to-choose-the-right-tippet-size

As far as what length I use... For trout I start with a 9' leader and put a ring on it. Than I add 18" or so of tippet. Like mentioned already, once you tie knots it ends up being about 10'.
For bass I use a piece of 8# test regular fishing line about 6' long.

7 to 9 feet of leader and tippet at least 3 feet. To measure tippetI pull it off the spool and reach out as far as my arm will stretch and touch the other end to my nose. That makes the tippet just about right.

Chaz wrote:
7 to 9 feet of leader and tippet at least 3 feet. To measure tippetI pull it off the spool and reach out as far as my arm will stretch and touch the other end to my nose. That makes the tippet just about right.

Yes do this^ works like a charm and easy.

GenCon

Leaders depend on a lot of things. Target species, stream conditions, type of fishing you plan to do, fly size and weight. For dry fly trout fishing on medium to large waters I use a knotted Harvey leader. I keep one in 4x and one in 5x with me and adjust to 6x or 7x by cutting back the 5x and adding smaller tippet. Make sure you have 2-3' of tippit. For small stream fishing (think mount brook trout stream) I use a 7.5' store bought tapered leader in 5x. For streamer fishing for trout I use a 7.5' 2x leader. For nymphing, I use a modified version of the Harvey leader that Eric stroup published in his book "Common Sense Fly Fishing" and use a piece of high-vis mono as a sighter where he calls for 0x.

I like the advise about tippet rings. Since I bought some I can't imagine going without them again! I used to keep several spare leaders in my bag in a leader wallet, because eventually I'd cut so far. Back into the leader that it was just easier tone place it than to add 2x,then 3x, then 4x to rebuild the part of the tapered that I had cut back into.

Now I pretty much only buy 9' 3x tapered leaders (for trout at least). I will generall either use. Them or cut the tippet back to just before the taper starts, and add a tippet ring there. Then if I want to fish a streamer, I'll add a short section of 3x ,or if I'm fishing nymphs or dry flies I can add a surprisingly long piece of 4x or 5x and the leader will still turn over. I'll use the same leader all season or until it starts getting beat up.

Usually my streamer leader is short (about 8ft if I'm using my tippet ring system, but as short as 7.5 ft if I'm just using a plain tapered leader), and my dry fly/nymph leaders are longer (at least 9 feet, sometimes as long as 12 ft). 3x for most trout streamers, and 4x-6x for dries and nymphing, tending toward lighter for smaller dries.

Back