Leader with least "memory"

S

springer1

I'd appreciate any suggestions on leaders with low "curl" memory. The Orvis ones I've used for years seem to have quite a bit even after I straighten them. Thanks

I'd check out Rios new Suppleflex leaders.
Also a good trick to help straighten a curly leader is to use a piece of rubber to run the leader on. It will reduce the memory. They actually sell leader straighteners at most fly shops and can fit right on your keychain.

Memory "curl" is one thing that can be straightened out in a variety of ways. Kinks are another thing. I don't have any experience with Rio's new Suppleflex leaders, but the Rio leaders I bought in the recent past sucked when it came to kinks. Never found a way to fix them.

Also a good trick to help straighten a curly leader is to use a piece of rubber to run the leader on. It will reduce the memory. They actually sell leader straighteners at most fly shops and can fit right on your keychain.
I do that, and stretch them as well until straight. 30 minutes later & the curls are back. I'm no beginner, just wondering if there's a leader that is noticeable better in staying straight.

Furled leaders. 0 memory

Tie your own leaders with maxima and tippet. It will stay straight.

Thanks Bigslackwater, my son-in-law says he's heard of this too. Seems there are a lot of variations such as;

http://flyfisharkansas.com/articles/building-a-better-leader

For a starting point, Do you have a generic formula for 4wt-5wt that you've settled on?

braided leaders are low memory too.

is this for dry or wet applications.

for wet flies you can sometimes use straight mono with no taper. that would be pretty low memory too.

Here's an article from George Harvey on tying your own leaders. Well written and very informative.

Article

I'll second the furled leaders. Little if any memory and use them strictly for dries. Dress them with some floatant and you'll be just fine.

Here's an article from George Harvey on tying your own leaders. Well written and very informative.
Thanks! - that is very informative indeed ! Interesting how he came to prefer more supple lines rather than stiff lines.

I'll second the furled leaders. Little if any memory and use them strictly for dries. Dress them with some floatant and you'll be just fine.
Thanks, I need to look into that too !

If you don't want to tie your own Maxima also sells tapered leaders in 7.5' and 9'. A little stretch and they are straight for the day.

^ this
Just stretch, hold for a few seconds, then relax the tension slowly and your good for the day.

If you boil your leaders for around 2-5 minutes they'll get rubber-band like stretchy and have virtually no memory.

Ronald Reagan

I switched over to tapered furled leaders recently. Id recommend them to anyone.

Make it another one for furled leaders. I use them for both wet and dry.

Maurice... ROTF LMAO ... Thanks.

Furled. Done.
Carry one extra and tippet.

Back