Leader/tippet ?

semperfish

semperfish

Next FF newbie question:
Do I understand correctly: We use a pre-made tapered leader with, say, a 5X tippet (0.006" dia, 4.4# test)and then tie an additional length of straight tippet material (in this example, 5X or lighter)to that?
I'm assuming this is done to conserve the original, tapered leader/tippet; not that it's a required addition to a "finished" leader/tippet. Is that correct?
Thanks

semperfish wrote:
Next FF newbie question:
Do I understand correctly: We use a pre-made tapered leader with, say, a 5X tippet (0.006" dia, 4.4# test)and then tie an additional length of straight tippet material (in this example, 5X or lighter)to that?
I'm assuming this is done to conserve the original, tapered leader/tippet; not that it's a required addition to a "finished" leader/tippet. Is that correct?
Thanks

Most knotless tapered leaders are tapered properly as is. It may be possible to add a short tippet (12 - 24"") of the same diameter (5x in this case) or one size lighter (6x). If you have trouble turning over your fly, cut the leader back a bit before tying on your tippet, or fish with a new leader without adding tippet, and add it only after it has been shortened by 12-24".

You may have to play with your leaders a bit to see what works best for the tippet diameter and the size and type of flies you are fishing.

A general rule of thumb for tippet / fly size is: Fly size divided by 4 and add 1.

Examples:

Size 12 fly / 4 = 3 +1 (4x tippet)
Size 16 fly / 4 = 4 +1 (5x tippet)
Size 20 fly / 4 = 5 +1 (6x tippet)

Another general rule is shorter and/or heavier leaders make it easier to turn over your flies.

Back