leader loop

T

Takem

If you were making a leader loop with mono to attach to your fly line with a nail knot what lb test would you use for a 5 weight and an 8?

I'd choose .020 Maxima (25 lb) for both. This is also recommended by Gary Borger in his book "Presentation".

Sunset Amnesia also works well, and it gives a good visual indicator for the end of the fly line.

Seal the end of the line and the nail knot with a drop of super glue to keep water from wicking up the core and sinking the tip of the line.

I usually use amnesia also, or some cheap 30lb test. I've read that you should try to match the diameter of the button end of your leader, but as long as your using reasonably heavy mono I can't see why it should matter much.

I concur: 25-30 lb test. If you're putting less than 8 inches or so of transition, I would tend to think that whether limp or stiff, 25 or 30 lb. is unlikely to make any difference as the power will transfer over such a short distance without any serious issues.

I have also used the Sunset Amnesia for this purpose.

A second vote for Maxima Chameleon 25lb. I have other 25lb that isn't as stiff. The stiffness is nice for energy transfer from the fly line.

JackM wrote:
I concur: 25-30 lb test. If you're putting less than 8 inches or so of transition, I would tend to think that whether limp or stiff, 25 or 30 lb. is unlikely to make any difference as the power will transfer over such a short distance without any serious issues.

I agree. I'm not sold on the stiffness = turnover theory anyway. I tend to think it has more to do with mass than stiffness. As long as the tip loop section is as heavy or heavier than the mono at the butt of the leader I think it is fine. I think a better case could be made for using hard, stiff mono for permanent loops by claiming better durability.

I don't think "hinging" is much of a thing either. Usually just shorthand for "I can't cast well, lets blame it on the gear." IMO.

Kev

For 32 years I simply purchased packaged tapered leaders and went fishing. My leaders ended up being a mess of knotted sections as I replaced lost leader length and tipped section. Using graphite rods I was able to power through whatever butt section the packaged leaders were made with. Then I built and fished a reasonably fast (yet still slow compared to graphite) bamboo rod. The rod performed poorly, as I wasn't able to turn leaders over. While lawn casting I observed the fly line energy being killed by the leader. Presenting dry flies had been frustrating, especially if I was casting under overhanging trees.

A search of the classic bamboo forum came up with a reference to making the butt section of your leader similar in stiffness to the stiffness of the end of your fly line. I had nothing to lose and quickly compared the stiffness of my DT four weight line tip to the stiffness of my leader and the leader was much stiffer. I'd started making leaders in 2015, so I created a leader with a 15 pound initial butt section - this made a world of difference on the four weight bamboo rod, and also on a three weight graphite rod.

I think there is something to the suggestions that leader and fly line stiffness be reasonably close. Maybe not as noticeable when fishing fast rods, and maybe more noticeable with slower rods.

Jeff

Back