Leader length?

J

Joerugs

What is a good length when nymphing with a 10' 3w? I had a 10' leader plus 2' of tippet and found it hard to control. Casting, mending where difficult. I switched to a shorter leader and tippet while indicator fishing and found it much more controllable. Also easier when I played around with wets and dries. But I'm wondering if I'm restricting my nymphing chances with a shorter leader? Thanks in advance.

What is a good length when nymphing with a 10' 3w? I had a 10' leader plus 2' of tippet and found it hard to control. Casting, mending where difficult. I switched to a shorter leader and tippet while indicator fishing and found it much more controllable. Also easier when I played around with wets and dries. But I'm wondering if I'm restricting my nymphing chances with a shorter leader? Thanks in advance.
Depends on water type in my un expert opinion. If you can give general characteristics of fishery, gradient, and riffle/pool type. Assuming you mean for all suspension indicator fishing. Tight lining super different set up.

I’d highly advise trialing one of dave roth rock’s leader systems that are explained well here too.

Depends on water type in my un expert opinion. If you can give general characteristics of fishery, gradient, and riffle/pool type. Assuming you mean for all suspension indicator fishing. Tight lining super different set up.
Theres 3 parts. thats just the link to part three.

Based on your rod it sounds like you're doing some Euro nymphing and the casting with those setups is COMPLETELY different than traditional fly casting (no long flowing tight loop or roll casts here) with a weight forward fly line because Euro specific Lines are very thin (0.55 mm) and the leaders are usually at least 20 feet long and comprised of 15 lb test mono or even lighter (as small as 4X or 5X) . Here's a link to a great video from fly fishing Team USA member Devin Olsen where he breaks down casting these types of rigs (hope it helps):

The whole "tactical" bit is a turn-off to me. If you're fishing with mono and a nymph that weighs as much as a spark plug, you might has well use a long spinning rod. Yes, you will catch a lot of fish by "tactical" or "euro" nymphing, you will also do well with a spinning rod. And competitive fishing? I'll leave a quote by a fine fly fishing writer, John Atherton (from his book, "The Fly and the Fish": "One of the great qualities of the sport is that it is non-competitive. Americans, in particular, seem to me well enough supplied with competition not to include fishing as well. The least flavor of the competitive destroys is most charming qualities, lending it an atmosphere of sly haste, pervading its associations with petty jealousies, envy and resentments. The angler who is determined to catch the biggest or the most of them, by his own determination becomes a competitor and is self-poisoned."

Back