Leader length limit

I know a lot of guys that euro nymph with 20-30 foot leaders it's not for me I know that.

afishinado wrote:

The 18' rule is still part of the regulation. I wouldn't violate it hoping the WCO is not going to enforce it.

Also, lines for Tenkara rods are usually less than 18'. Some are furled and some are more like traditional fly lines and mono tippets are added to the end of the line usually using a tippet ring.

If not, I would shorten it to comply if fishing in a FFO area, no big deal.

I realize the 18' rule is still in effect but it is the spirit of fly-fishing and the prevention of the use of conventional tackle it is really designed to address.

The 18’ foot rule says” maximum of 18 feet in leader material or monofilament line attached” Does that EXCLUDE the butt sections of furled or braided butt leaders?

In regards to Tenkara lines, level lines in excess of 15 feet are VERY common. That means 17 -19 feet of fluorocarbon fishing line PLUS 5-6’ of leader.

So is it ONLY the tippet section that matters in regards to the 18’ rule in a FFO section if you are using a level Tenkara line? If so why, when it is just fishing line?

If you want to talk furled Tenkara lines, those are essentially really long furled leaders.

So is a person Tenkara fly-fishing with a “traditional” Tenkara furled line or a regular fly fisher using a really long furled or braided butt leader is also breaking the rule?

The bottom line is if those situations are permissible in FFO waters, what makes it different from a person using a 19' leader on a Euro nymphing rig? I call the fluorocarbon attached to my Tenkara rod a “line” and the tippet attached to that my leader. So what’s to stop a Euro nympher from doing the same thing?

Maybe someone who Euro nymphs should do what Daniel Galhardo of Tenkara USA did and write to the PFBC and ask for clarification…

First of all FFO-CR regs are on way less then 1% of PA waters.

Second most Euro guys fish with leaders a lot less than two rod lengths for most fishing. And if by chance they do fish FFO water, it would be no big deal to shorten up a couple of feet.

Here is a great site for learning about Euro techniques, rigs and flies if anyone is interested:

https://bluequillangler.com/learn-fly-fishing/european-nymphing-methods/

Back