Laurel Hill/Indian Creek on Good Friday

B

BTRobertson

My wife and I are planning on fishing these two streams early to mid-afternoon this coming Good Friday if anyone's interested. Not sure of FF-only regs on the stretches we'll be fishing except that Indian Creek is not FF-only where we go. Last year, it wasn't pressured at all and we caught plenty on butterworms and spinning tackle. Gonna try my hand at nymphing it or even dries if the water is warm enough and the rain doesn't create high water.

I've never fished Laurel Hill near that same area (out route 31 near Somerset Co.), but it's a great stream from what I've heard and read about it.

Anyone want to join in or give general advice, please feel free either way. I'm a newbie, so any words of wisdom are appreciated for those who have fished those waters.

Attachments

• Indian Creek.jpg
    Indian Creek.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 15
  • Indian Creek Trout 2013.jpg
    Indian Creek Trout 2013.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 7
Just a suggestion... You may want to leave out the photo of the slaughtered trout next time asking advice on other's local waters.

You may get a better response.

I was glad to see someone is slaughtering trout, but still had nothing useful to share. There are lots of places on Laurel Hill Creek and Indian Creek, where slaughtering trout is to be encouraged.

JackM wrote:
There are lots of places on Laurel Hill Creek and Indian Creek, where slaughtering trout is to be encouraged.

care to elaborate?

Anywhere that it is stocked but not delayed harvest.

I'm not sure why killing trout the third week of April would be encouraged by anyone who has an interest in catching fish there.

Ummmm, it's perfectly legal and it was last year when we wanted to eat some fish. Other local's waters? So...these waters belong to someone else and taking stocked trout from there is wrong? Another purist? Catch-and-release is something I practice, but taking a few trout for the table is perfectly legal, safe, and my own business, quite frankly. Relax dude. If you don't want to fish with us, then don't. I'll be sure to put back all "your" fish. I didn't know my purchase of a license and a membership to Trout Unlimited prohibited me from taking trout for my family's table. Those pictures weren't from this year, it's from LAST YEAR (2013) and was much later in the season.

I'm sure you wouldn't have a single issue coming to "my" local fishing hole - the Yough - and taking trout from there when my dollars help stock that water. I buy at least one "Stock the Yough" pin for each member of my family from the Canoe Club, which helps put fish in the water that many other anglers take and eat. It's not "slaughter", it's putting food on the table with fish bought with my dollars. I would never make such comments about it being "my" fish. Wow. Can't say anything anymore. No mercy.

never fished the creek but it looks very nice. I have no issue with keeping fish I sporadically keep fish throughout the year when the creeks become thermal and my father likes to keep a mess opening day where we go near our cabin in the sproul.

Theres is however a time and place to ask for advice tagged with pictures like that especially on a forum like this. you almost kind of had to expect a response like that don't you think?

I'm not suggesting all fly fisherman are purists and better than everyone else because they catch and release. my wife enjoys a good fish fry and has convinced me to keep some from time to time after dropping what I did on a 5 year license :)

happy fishing

Actually, no, I didn't expect that and am still in shock over the nastiness and implication that I'm somehow violating someone else's water, as if by virtue of living in a local area that water is now "yours." I'm a newbie to both fly-fishing and to any kind of fishing forum, so posting a picture of legally harvested trout from LAST year didn't even cross my mind. What, there are seven trout there harvested by two fisherman? I'm not arguing about it because it's ridiculous in every sense of the word. If no one wants to fish with me because I keep some fish and innocently post a picture of it from LAST year, so be it. That's their problem, not mine. That's why they make catch-and-release areas, which I plan on fishing and LEGALLY putting all of the fish back. My time here will be short-lived if I'm being judged because I posted one picture of harvested trout. People need to calm down. This is why I fish alone and am quite happy about it. Every hobby has antagonists who ruin it for everyone else. Would people treat a young kid who's just getting into fly-fishing like this? I sure hope not, because that would explain the sharp decline in any young people getting involved in this sport or conservation.

Technically, are all the pictures of guys holding trout up out of the water a faux pas, too? I thought we should be using rubber nets, wetting our hands, taking the fish out of the water as little as possible, if at all, using barbless hooks, etc.? Where does it end? If people didn't take fish, there would be no need for stocking. I'd get more mercy being an osprey killing fish than as a human being partaking in a bit of the spoils. I'm a bit upset, sorry. Next time I won't post a single picture of a dead fish, lest I be accused of some heinous crime.

best advice I can give you is keep doing what you want to do. I'm sure those that are being nasty aren't intentionally out to get you. Maybe they have different views on it, who knows.

but I do know that there are 2 things consistent it seems with this forum. not many people want to see a stringer of dead trout for some reason and nobody likes a spot burn (I found the latter out the hard way)

you cant let a few bad apples ruin the pie, so to speak.

Hey, sorry man. I was actually being serious. Though it did sound a bit snarky, I'll admit that. Slaughtered was obviously a sensationalized word choice.

I realize it's legal. I don't really have a problem with anyone keeping stockies on Laurel Hill, and I certainly do not consider the fish "mine." I would not, however, go as far as encouraging it. As someone who fishes the stream occasionally, I'd rather see more fish in it than less. Just seems logical to me. But to each their own I suppose.

I was just trying to point out that you may get some more favorable advice on a forum of this type by leaving out the picture of the strung up fish. I'll stand by that. I do like the first pic though.

Fish on my man- good luck tomorrow.

I'm sorry, too, then for not knowing the etiquette. I will not do that and if I could edit the OP and delete that picture, I would. It was out of sheer ignorance that I did that. My reaction was to the implication that I knowingly am "peeing in someone's pool", which is never, ever my intent. My wife and I actually caught quite a bit more from there, and threw more than that back, which I didn't even think to mention. We love that stream and I will absolutely be throwing many more back than keeping.

Also worth noting. My wife and I never ran into a single fisherman, fly or spin, during the multiple days we fished it last year no matter how far up- or downstream we fished. We were alone, and most of the fish were smaller and very colorful...those we released.

:) Thanks for clearing up the misunderstanding. I truly appreciate that and have learned a valuable lesson.

Camp Run is fun if you want to do a little hike up the hillside for some small brookies. It flows into Indian Creek and is pretty easy to find.

I didn't get a chance to hit Indian Creek but I will sometime this year...

BT, I'm sorry if I contributed to anything negative here. But, I think the point was well-taken, that if you are seeking information on waters to fish, it is really best not to risk projecting yourself as someone who harvests trout, whether responsibly or indiscriminately. This community probably is predominately catch and release, sometimes to an unhealthy degree. Don't be discouraged.

I think the whole thing can be summed up like this...there are streams in that area that support wild populations of trout. Mostly small streams. Most members won't be willing to give advice on these streams if they see a pic of a full stringer for fear that you might have no qualms doing the same on saaaay Camp Run, which was already mentioned.

For the record I have no problems with taking some stocked trout. Eat up.

JackM wrote:

This community probably is predominately catch and release, sometimes to an unhealthy degree.

Jack,
Can you elaborate on what you mean by this? If you mean what I think you mean, then I don't believe that "unhealthy" is accurate.

I struck out anyway. I had one stocker on the line around 1:00 PM when the water warmed up, but my tippet knot broke free and I lost it. Nice rainbow, but definitely not a wild fish from what I could see. Used a Muddler Minnow and it hit hard. Was my first time setting the hook on such a strong hit, but it wasn't my set that broke the line. The fly didn't break free, I looked at the end of my remaining tippet and it was really curly, indicating that my knot wasn't tied properly. A hard lesson to learn, but perhaps it was meant to be.

And please, let me be clear here: I don't harvest wild fish, at least not knowingly, and I'm NEW to fly-fishing. I had no idea that the FF community was mostly C&R. I'm a member of TU now and learning a lot more. I think a bit of patience and forgiveness to new people would go a long way. Maybe you guys/gals are all jaded by people who don't give a rip, but I do. I believe in being a good steward of what God has created. I want to do the environment right, so this is all part of my ongoing education in understanding what the expectations are here.

And again I say, I apologize if my reaction was salty. I'm human. :) Thanks all.

I even changed my avatar because the osprey snatching a trout perhaps is, subconsciously, affecting how people view my attitude toward trout. ;) LOL

BTRobertson wrote:
I even changed my avatar because the osprey snatching a trout perhaps is, subconsciously, affecting how people view my attitude toward trout. ;) LOL

While I fish predominantly C&R (can't remember the last time I intentionally killed a trout), there's nothing ethically or morally wrong with responsibly creeling fish, even wild ones. If they are wild fish, they do their best to make more every year. And if they are stocked, they definitely make more every year. Now I think what others are saying is true as well - if you generate the perception that you kill all the fish you catch, you may find information to be less than forthcoming.

Mend your own drift; fish how you feel comfortable.

Drop me a PM. I get out to western Pa now and then. I fish Meadow Run and Dunbar, both nice streams. The Chestnut Ridge TU chapter would love for you to attend a meeting. As for me I will maintain the evil heron avatar... :)

Back