Launch point on the Lower Yough???

• Thread starter cricketontherun
  • Start date
cricketontherun

cricketontherun

Is anyone familiar with put in and take out locations on the Lower Yough? I am assuming Connellsville or lower. Maybe there's somewhere else between Ohiopyle and Connellsville? Thanks!

The outfitters all take out at bruner run - downstream of ohiopyle.
But there has been a lot of debate on this forum over whether that access is open to the public or not. There is a gate that is open sometimes, I guess. I've never tried it.

There is another access point about half way between bruner run and connellsville called camp carmel. It is a gravel road that runs off of the hard top road going between dunbar and ohiopyle. I was down that road once many years ago. It was a little bumpy, but not too bad to drive with a car

You can launch at Bruner, just talk to the state park people and arrange it. As stated above, camp carmel is another good option.

Last time I went to Camp Carmel it was gated at the bike path, and still a good distance to get a drift boat to the river from there. Am I thinking of the right place? Church camp down a bumpy mountain road? The camp sits across from railroad tressel where another creek dumps into the Yough?

cricketontherun wrote:
Last time I went to Camp Carmel it was gated at the bike path, and still a good distance to get a drift boat to the river from there. Am I thinking of the right place? Church camp down a bumpy mountain road? The camp sits across from railroad tressel where another creek dumps into the Yough?

Yeah - that's the place. And that stream on the other side of the river is indian creek. No road down along it - as far as I know anyway.

I wasn't thinking about launching a drift boat - and you can't do that at camp carmel
Guess you'll have to try to launch at bruner run.

There is one other possibility you might check out. On the other side of the river - just upstream from bruner run - the PA Delorme shows a road going down to the river from Mill Run. No idea if it's private though

Greetings from Ohiopyle,
I am an outfitter and an angler, let me clear up the situations mentioned above.
Bruner Run is a very limited access road that is controlled by the state park. It is possible to arrange for a launch from this point, by contacting the park directly. Access for launching is restricted to the morning hours( pre-noon??). This gate is locked from April 1st to mid-October, it is open during the remainder of the year.

Camp Carmel-- this is not a take out or a launch of any kind. The good folks at Camp Carmel do not want people crossing their property. It is that simple.

The South Connellsville Rod and Gun club is the only place below Bruner Run that you would be able to remove a drift boat from the Yough. Just below the club, is the South Connellsville dam. If you are in an inflatable boat, it is possible to lift it up and over the river right side of this structure. Do not run the dam, it is full of rebar.

The access mentioned upstream of Bruner Run,, does not exist. That is the Stewarton Road that is visible on the map. Prior to 1978, this was the take out for the whitewater rafting (Lower Yough) section. It is necessary to cross the tracks, which is not advisable, and CSX will have you arrested for trespassing, then it is a very steep bank/cliff and approximately 100 yards to the river. Not drift boat territory!

Hope this clears things up. feel free to send me a message if you have other questions.

Cheers

Yeah, that territory is far from easy access. However, downstream of connellsville, you have a park in connellsville with a boat ramp. you have cedar creek park which has a boat ramp. I believe there are some ballfields in between those two parks that looks like you could park within 100' of the river. Good luck if you are using a driftboat though. Lots of reall shallow spots under normal summer flows in some areas. In particular, a riffle below the connellsville park could be a 1/4 mile portage sub 900 cfs. Regardless, drifting is much easier on the upper yough. Plenty of straight forward infastructure up there for driftboats.

Ohiopyle fisher -

Your post about not being allowed to cross the CSX railroad tracks is pretty interesting.
I see people driving along those same tracks upstream of the south connellsville rod and gun club all the time. I guess maybe membership has its privileges?

The South Connellsville Rod and Gun club is the only place below Bruner Run that you would be able to remove a drift boat from the Yough. Just below the club, is the South Connellsville dam. If you are in an inflatable boat, it is possible to lift it up and over the river right side of this structure. Do not run the dam, it is full of rebar.

OPylefisher's response is right on--the only thing that I would add is that taking out at the club with a hard boat, if that's what you have, would require a membership, and a lengthy carry.

Back