Late October-Mid November in Lehigh Valley

87SS383

87SS383

I will be home from Afghanistan for R&R between October 20 & November 15. I've fished the Monocacy from the lock to the Lehigh River & The Little Lehigh from the Hatchery to the end of the park with a spinning rod before, but have been studying fly casting over the last few months in anticipation for my R&R. I'm interested to explore new waters in the Lehigh Valley within 30-40 mins from Allentown/Bethlehem. I'm a noob to fly fishing, but I ordered a cheap outfit from Cabela's and had it sent out here to my base to practice my cast.

Now to the meat and potatoes. Besides guidance on good producing waters, what flies should I fish during that time frame? I'm only gonna be home for a limited time, and I would like to try and maximize my production. Any and all information will be a great help.

Also, I don't yet own waders, so any areas that are fishable by shore would be preferred.

For flies I would say have your basic genetic nymphs. HE,PT. when I'm fishing this time a year I'm mostly using midges. Zebra midges are always a good producer. When it gets colder I start using eggs and worm patters as well. Hatches that will be around are caddis and BWO.
I personally never have fished the Lehigh but spend a lot of time on the LL this summer. Not positive if the fish will be spawning by then but I know it's in the fall. Kinda the reason why fishing tapper off . At least for me. By oct and nov I'm focused of stripers. It's prime time to hit the surf.

First, Thank you for your service to our country.

I would strongly consider using a black or green woolly bugger on those streams at that time of year. Woolly buggers are an excellent choice too for beginners because much like a trout spinner you're going to basically quarter your cast down and across and then using short strips work the fly back to you through the current. A strip-strip-pause action is a good way to find fish.

Other flies to have would include a few #14 & #16 elkhair caddis and BWOs in sizes 16-18. Hare's ear and Pheasant tail nymphs as well. Egg patterns should work as well.

Anywhere from the hatchery road bridge down is very good. Above hatchery road its very good for over a mile but watch for posted signs, some of the land may be posted. Most of the creek is open to fishing though.
As for hatches, there will probably be tricos around, but not every day. Your best best is # 18 Baetis, both adult and spinners, the spinners fall in the evening.
There are always midges if you like that kind of fishing.
You can always tie on an Al's Rat.
Thank you for your service.

Thanks for all the help guys. Hopefully with the wealth of knowledge you have on this forum i'll land a few during my R&R.

Send me a message when you are in town. I live right by the Monocacy Creek. If we can work it out, I maybe able to show you around, or just point to where some fish are.

Pm me when you get home I'll go out with you and show you some stuff. I'm in the active national guard myself.

Back