Late cold weather and hatch timing

A

Arrowflinger

What effect do you think this late cold and snow storms will have on the early hatch timing?

Not sure. I think it depends what happens when the weather breaks. If it gets above average in temps and sunshine then who knows. Stoneflies are everywhere right now at my house. No one seems to care about them though as I've never really seen much activity with them.

Barring a sudden lengthy warm spell, I'd say that the april hatches are gonna be later than they've been the last two years anyway. I was fishing grannoms the last week of march last year. Really doubt I'll see them that early again this year

fish are on the early stones just not on surface, wets and nymphs work best for them

sandfly wrote:
fish are on the early stones just not on surface, wets and nymphs work best for them

I've never really seen them on my local trout streams and have never done well fishing their nymphs. Maybe I'll reevaluate and try them again soon. I love right on the Juniata and little black stones pop from there like crazy. The smallies certainly don't care about them this time of year.

At this point, we're still a month from the big hatches get cranking. I doubt you'll find the hatches much later than average... maybe a week behind.

I haven’t seen any Baetis yet. But have been seeing a few rising fish. Most years I would be expecting them anytime now

I have had days when a dark Gray soft soft hackle (16) killed during LB Stonefly hatches. In fact that's what I usually fish. On topic, I think the early hatches will be at least little late this year, barring tropical weather, which seems unlikely.

Not expecting good Hendricksons on the upper Delaware and Deposit until May 01 barring a very warm April.

Matt,

As you know, the Hendrickson hatch can be in full swing by April 15th on the lower Main but may not end in Deposit until Memorial Day.

As for timing of hatches, I use plant activity as a general marker for hatches. I just watched bit on the weather channel and based on 165 years of data, the cherry blossoms are still 5-7 days ahead of schedule. Locally, I use forsythia as an indication the Hendrickson hatch has started.

I wouldn't bet that the hatches will be too far off of normal timing.... barring any freakish weather. Flow volumes have just as much impact on timing and intensity.

It most useful to look at all the temps for an entire year, since that's how long it takes for most insects to hatch. We had a very warm fall; October temps were near the highest on record and November was above average. December was very cold and that held into January. February was a warm month compared to the average, and now March is colder than normal.

No one knows for sure, but I will guess the hatches will be close to normal hatching dates this spring. The plants and trees are a good way of judging on hatch dates. Many FFers use them as an indicator and it seems to hold true.

Anyway, warm weather and hatches will come none to soon for most of us, whatever date that may be.

I saw a decent BWO hatch yesterday. Seems to be normal timing to me.

saw hendricksons coming off at the Breeches last weekend so who knows. i am praying that they dont hatch early in Michigan for my trip i am planning in May.

With the continued cold weather here in the NE, I'd have to think the hatches will be pushed back 5-10 days from their normal time.

I selected a large freestone river and looked at water temps from 2017 which were 42 - 47 degrees during this time period. Compare to this year's temps which are 34-38 degrees. May not seem like much but that's a big difference as far as the insects are concerned. You need to have the water temperature stay at 50 for 2-3 days before the Hendrickson hatch really gets cranking. Creeks with some spring influence like Penns might not be pushed back as far.

Back