Last Day on Letort

Status
Not open for further replies.
In an attempt to get just one more day in fly fishing for 2013, Afishinado, Fishidiot and I made our way over to central Pennsylvania on Monday. A cold wintery day, but to be expected for the end of December.

Dave Weaver Stalking on Letort Spring Creek

A heavy rain hit the region the day before. Many of the limestone and smaller streams were cleared up and fishable. It was still very cloudy and temperatures held in the upper 30's all day.

We found our way over to the Letort in hopes of a Blue Winged Olive (BWO) hatch mid day or early afternoon. It is pretty common on cloudy, mild winter days to find a sporadic BWO hatch getting the attention of the locals.

Winter fly fishing can be very difficult. Cold weather and less active trout can make for some real hit or miss fishing. For the Letort and the wild brown trout in the stream the best approach is nymphing with the hope that some risers are out on midges or BWO's. The high streamside vegetation that so strongly dominates everything along the stream in the summer is gone and it is easier casting if you are lucky enough to try some dry flies.

Afishinado Putting on a Nymphing Clinic

Afishinado managed to get some action with nymphs. I did see a few risers and tried a midge with my usual "no luck".

There were some small BWO's sailing down the stream, but not a lot of active fish rising to them. What was more interesting was our observation of what look liked a #16 sulphur mayfly that was hatching during that same time. We were pretty taken aback to see a few little orangish mayflies floating past us in the middle of winter.

A fun day out and glad we could fit in one more final day in for 2013.

var addthis_config = {"data_track_addressbar":true};

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back