Last Day of Trout Fishing for the summer

G

Glenny

I caught two nice rainbows on Muddy Creek C&R FF only on June 30th. Was a little worried about water temp and fish survival but both fish released in great condition and swam away with out effort. Kept both fish in water the whole time. Picture is of second fish caught right at the hemlocks.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 7
Yeah - I had thoughts of fishing today {one of my off days}.
I usually go to yough tail race during during heat waves like this. But it's still flowing at a rate thats too high for wading and dry fly fishing.
Then considered some small headwater stream fishing, which probably would be OK.
But decided not to push it.
And will take a break from fishing until things cool down some

Yes started fishing at 6 am so air temps were pretty cool finished around 8 am. I hope they hold over till the fall so I can catch them again. Not to sure how well they will holdover in Muddy Creek. Caught both fish on a size 18 Bead headed prince.

If you like trout fishing and only the temps are holding you back, then I would recommend exploring Leibs Ck, Blymire Hollow Rn, the proposed Class A stretch of S Br Muddy Ck, Codorus Ck, and the S Br Codorus Ck in the trout stocked fishery open to yr around fishing stretch. Even Muddy Ck may have cooler temps farther downstream than the FFO since a number of wild trout streams enter below there.

I attempted to fish Blymire once last summer but the water was 71, and it's hotter out there now. Use caution on streams of ANY size right now, unless they are limestone spring creeks or cold tailwaters.

I finished my summer trout season this weekend with a WV adventure and a few miles of brookies crushing dries. Water temps were fine in the higher elevations, but that's a far drive to keep going out there this summer. Time for bass, and I'm excited for the change of pace.

Based on some long range weather speculation I've read, the next 2-3 weeks will be the peak of the summer heat (it's July after all) and it should get a little less intense after that (I hope!)

Just a reminder-the fact that a fish swam away fine is not evidence that it wasn't lethally stressed. I'm not saying that to slam the OP, just a reminder in general, because we often see that posted on the forum.

I know from experience that muddy gets way to warm and going downstream won't help. The feeders don't jolt it that much
There are options out there though

Yes, that is what I would have thought about Muddy until I spoke to an angler along that stream last fall, who has been fishing a particular downstream stretch for years. So perhaps in that area conditions depend upon the summer in question.

Per Sarce's observation, it pays to carry a thermometer, as some Class A streams may even get warm under certain conditions. That appears to be a rarity. My surveys of wild trout streams, and not just Class A's, for 41 yrs have rarely found warm temps, suggesting that there are many wild trout streams that can be fished without temperature concerns. Blymire is not very surprising, however, as its development of a good wild trout population has apparently been relatively recent, so given Sarce's report it may still be subject to marginal conditions at times. In addition, its headwaters may still not be wooded (if memory serves it was agricultural-early succession years ago) unlike many wild trout streams.

Maybe but I highly doubt it.
I recorded 82 degree temps just above fishing creek in July 2 consecutive years.

The OP I feel like has it right, why force it.
Go fish smallmouth

Yeah, Muddy is a simmering stew right now. Wait til the day night temp averages 70 or so for a few days...(80/60=70) temps should temper to not get into the 70 then and fish will be back on the feed bag. Right now they are likely hugging springs or tribs or lining eagles and osprey nests.

All them WTS streams will reach the 70s in this heat wave. Take a thermometer and leave your rod at home.

Back