Largemouth bass summer tactics in lakes

G

GStan

What are some good fly fishing tactics for summer largemouth bass fishing in lakes?

Are you fishing from a boat? If so, you have many more and better options.
Shore or wade fishing limits your tactics in summer.

If you're a wade/shore FFer....I recommend having some heavy tippet (14-20lb test) and a variety of weedless flies so that you can target inshore cover: weed beds, woody debris, etc. Early mornings, late evenings, or at night will produce best results in summer. FFing for bass in lakes during high summertime is a tough game.

I agree with Dave_W. I've been having success with bass on a local lake in the evenings fishing weed lines and edges of Lilly pads. Most times, the bass are eager to take a popper, just remember to be patient and give the Fly time to rest before moving it. I believe Taply stated in his book "Bass Bugging" pop the bug and then smoke a cigarette then move the bug again. Non smokers were encouraged to eat a sandwich.

Like the guys said, early and late in the cover is the best time. Full overcast days offer the same sort of conditions for top and shallow water fishing.

I'm doing a lot of this kind of fishing beginning this year with my new inflatable yak. I'm still finding out what works and what doesn't seem to work. One thing that works for me mid-day or during high sun periods if you are fishing from a boat, etc. is to sit on the edge of the weedline and use a sink tip with some simple worm-type flies made of Estaz or zonker strips. There a lots of patterns online... Put a simple mono weed guard on the flies. It doesn't work all the time, but enough to be worthwhile. I've had my best luck on black, purple and a fleshy red (kind of red/orange). Try a variety of weighting options. Or in general, figure out the minimal amount of weight you can use and still tolerate the time it takes for the fly to sink. Generally, the less weight you use, the better the action of the fly and the more effective it will be. Doing this right is always a battle for me as I'm almost always in a hurry.

This isn't the most exciting kind of fishing. Until a bass picks up the fly, then it gets better..:) My experience has been that most of the takes will come on the drop, so be ready. If a bass doesn't pick it up on the drop, lightly jiggle and walk the fly for a little while and see what happens. If nothing, pick it up and do it all again. It works or at least it has for me..

I made-up this rabbit strip fly that I thought would be a doozy of a bass fly. Double mono weed guard, glass rattle, brass cone head. Black & Purple, Ox Blood red. I was set. I never caught a fish on them. Bummer. Now, my lakes aren't your lakes, but you know that. I'd get in the weeds and the weed mats and fish a fly made from a Raney's Joom Diver head. I did best with white and yellow, rubber legs, google eyes and a rather ornate tail with marabou, flash and streamer hackle. They're fun to tie because these flies look impressive. Sometimes they have a tendency to land on their back because of how everything is tied-in. I am not expert enough to know what I'm doing to make this happen. And they don't seem to work as well with a loop knot. The fly is not cast in a controlled manner and so flips more. Pulling it under and letting it wobble up is just deadly, if the bass are on. If you are fishing in goop, a popper just weeds- and slimes-up.

Syl

Back