Largemouth are Hitting!

FlySwatter

FlySwatter

I went out on Lackawanna Lake this evening from 6:30 - 8:30. I only caught 2, but they were nice! The smaller was about 3 pounds and the larger about over 5+ pounds.

Sunset radiant

bats flying

snapping turtles spawning

peppers deafening

stars were brilliant

Attachments

• Lacka SP bass 3-20-2012.jpg
    Lacka SP bass 3-20-2012.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Lacka SP big bass 3-20-2012.jpg
    Lacka SP big bass 3-20-2012.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1
I was wondering about the largemouths today since the smallmouths were on fire. Looks like it's time to hit up the lakes. I can't wait to break out the heavy duty furled leaders and big cork poppers!

Nice Fish!

Time to take my daughter to the old pond. We are gonna have some fun :)

Thanks guys!

Corn,

They were very active, but mainly in the shallow coves with dark bottoms and full sun exposure. Things picked up around 7:30 after the sun set. The big one came at 8:15 on a deer hair bug (first cast after switching flies!).

Sal,

I took my osn there Sunday after dinner on a hunch. He caucht 2 bass, over 2 pounds, on a spinnerbait. It was difficult for him b/c the water was little more than a foot deep.

My uncle fishes some farm ponds hear Hazelton. He said the shallow one is perking up. He caught bass on about every third cast. Def. time to get your daughter out & fishing. The bluegill were feeding topside on stoneflies. I have no doubt they would smack a small popper or foam spider...

Other thoughts:

When I fish after dark for bass I'm tapping into some deep family history. My grandfather bass-bugged all night from a rowboat on Wallenpaupack and various ponds & lakes in Sullivan Co.

My dad and his brothers were the indentured all night rowers...as kids! Coal crackers were a tougher breed.

I grew up doing the same thing, except out of a canoe. Those nights were some spooking, surreal, exciting times. When I go too long without bass-bugging at night, it starts to invade my dreams.

Since we are in mid-spring mode in mid-March, we have a rare opportunity to fish dawn & dusk at relatively civilized hours. I was home by 8:35. That’s not irresponsibly late for my 1 year old son.

I'm lucky to live a mile from Lackawanna Lake.

Thanks for the info man, i'm actually planning on hitting up a lake tonight so i'll see what happens.

got up there for a bit this morning. Spent an hour or so flinging streamers on the 8-weight to no avail, then switched over to the 5-weight to target bluegills, and, wouldn't ya know it, hooked up with a 5-pounder on a #12 BH Hare's Ear.

Also nailed a bunch of slammer bluegill, including the earliest hopper-caught fish I've ever hooked up. A few pics, first is the big boy, and the other i my hopper-caught bluegill.

Attachments

• hoppergill.jpg
    hoppergill.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 2
  • bigboy.jpg
    bigboy.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 1
sniperfreak,

Gotta love the bass on the 5 wt! That bluegill looks great.

Keep the love for the swamp creatures coming!

FlySwatter wrote:
sniperfreak,

Gotta love the bass on the 5 wt! That bluegill looks great.

Keep the love for the swamp creatures coming!

was actually a little disappointed, as I was fishing a shallow flat at the north end of the lake, and when I set the hook he took off and I was super excited thinking I finally hooked into one of the elusive carp in the lake, but alas, just a big ol' bucketmouth, so the six year search I've been on for a Lackawanna Lake carp continues...

I could be wrong, but I thought the carp in that lake are grass carp.

if i could ask for some last minute help. im going to a nearby pond of roughly 90 acres of an abandoned quarry filled with water. i have seen a massive bass pulled from it, but noticed the water was rather shallow near shore in all but a small off section pond where it reaches aproximatly 5-10 feet. is the shallower waters (1-3 ft for about 20 feet, not sure past that) a problem? im goin with 3 buddies and im the only fly fisher adn am going to have spin gear as a backup.

nealfish wrote:
if i could ask for some last minute help. im going to a nearby pond of roughly 90 acres of an abandoned quarry filled with water. i have seen a massive bass pulled from it, but noticed the water was rather shallow near shore in all but a small off section pond where it reaches aproximatly 5-10 feet. is the shallower waters (1-3 ft for about 20 feet, not sure past that) a problem? im goin with 3 buddies and im the only fly fisher adn am going to have spin gear as a backup.

Neal,
It's worth a try with a fly rod. This time of year, fish are typically in shallow water. I'd approach the shallow section first with the fly rod and work it over with a popper or streamer. Wade out a bit to cover the whole shallow section - be careful not to wade near the drop off as quarries often have sheer sides - be careful. Quarry ponds are often very clear. If you see a bass, hop a wooley bugger or streamer in front of him slowly. Once you've fished it over with the fly rod, then break out the spin gear to reach further out or otherwise cover water you couldn't fish with the fly rod. Don't be surprised if there are bass holding just off the ledge in deep water.

I was fishing a shallow flat at the north end of the lake, and when I set the hook he took off and I was super excited thinking I finally hooked into one of the elusive carp in the lake, but alas, just a big ol' bucketmouth, so the six year search I've been on for a Lackawanna Lake carp continues...

Wow! another carp-o-holic!
I was fly fishing a lake today and I caught a small carp, maybe 7 or 8lbs.
I was catchin' dozens of nice sized bluegills and some small largemouth with my 3 wt and a size 14 beadhead hears ear. I saw the carp about twenty feet in front of me in about 4' of water.
I was wading and I flipped my nymph right in front of his nose. I watched quietly and when it sank, the carp turned and grabbed the nymph. I set the hook and the carp moved like a freight train into deeper water. I had a 6X on and when the carp went into backing, he broke me off!
I retied and thirty seconds later the same carp swam back to the same place!! I could have caught the stupid fish again, but I was catchin' so many small bass..... which usually jump out of the water, I didn't bother.
If I ever get tired of the sunfish, I'll take my 8wt and do some sight fishing for the poor man's bonefish!

i caught 2 bass and had a hit froma carp yesterday! i was using a crawfish first, and it was the exact same color as the water so i missed that hit, and then i was using a pink freshwater shrimp imitation and i had that one on for like 5 seconds.

Back