Lantern Fly

• Thread starter salvelinusfontinalis
  • Start date
salvelinusfontinalis

salvelinusfontinalis

Read of bookface that a guy claims to use live ones on the river as bait for bass and they love them.

Anyone see fish eating these things?

I saw one floating down a small Brookie stream in Berks County over the weekend. It did not get eaten that I saw, but it made me wonder. During the last Cicada emergence I fished a Brookie stream in Carbon County and the fish were gorged on them. I saw many get eaten that day and saw many small Brookies attempting to eat them, but struggling to get their mouths around them. My guess is if you tie up a fly, fish will eat it. I have a couple Hopper like flies that with some slight modifications would get close...That being said, I’m not sure it’s necessary, at least not for Trout...The Brookies during that Cicada emergence ate my standard issue Wulff flies just as as well as normal.

Maybe this explains all the slow Bass fishing...They’re keyed on Lantern Flies! Worth a shot I guess, but I have my doubts they’re making up a significant portion of SMB diets in the region.

I feed them to my frogs and they love them .

My lantern fly. Great for Gills.

Attachments

• 554D7A8D-60EE-44BA-B2A2-AD743EF106A3.jpeg
    554D7A8D-60EE-44BA-B2A2-AD743EF106A3.jpeg
    15.2 KB · Views: 7
Saw some fish feeding on top on a small limestone Creek. I threw some lanternflies in and no response. Lots of them on the tree of heaven that were hanging over Creek. They must hate them as much as we do.

The panfish at Marsh Creek Reservoir seem to eat them pretty well.

I fished at Wehr's dam 3 weeks ago and only caught Gills.

Back