Lancaster Show

G

gentleshepherd

Went to the Lancaster show, not expecting anything special but was pleasantly surprsed, spoke with a couple of the tiers and got some new tips to try. Got there around 11, not overly crowded, some booths were crowded, so I moved on and came back. Spent about 2 1/2 hours on the floor, ran into a couple of friends and chatted.
AT 1 met with some family members at Carrs restaurant and had a wonderful afternoon lunch and a super dessert - Chocolate Creme Brule.

I will probably go again next year if it is held here again, Not a Somerset but could have potential.

Hope to see comments from others too!

Thanks for the report. Were any rod builders there?

There are reviews in the events forum

Dear Board,

I'm thinking of going tomorrow. That can serve as either a heads up or fair warning depending on your POV.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

I was there with Rickinpa and had a good time. Thought it was a little smaller than the show last year in Valley Forge but big enough to find most of what I wanted to buy.

im heading down there today glad to here its a decent show.

it has some vendors, some good deals, lots of cool presentations.

If you have been to a show or two, I'm sure you have seen all of this before. I remember lefty's presentation from a show years ago and it hasn't changed much. still great to see an 87 year old effortlessly blasting 75ft of line out on a roll cast!

check out the colonial anger if you go, he's a cool dude and it's fun to see how our sport has evolved. He has a lot of stuff you might not see elsewhere.

TimRobinsin wrote:
it has some vendors, some good deals, lots of cool presentations.

If you have been to a show or two, I'm sure you have seen all of this before. I remember lefty's presentation from a show years ago and it hasn't changed much. still great to see an 87 year old effortlessly blasting 75ft of line out on a roll cast!

check out the colonial anger if you go, he's a cool dude and it's fun to see how our sport has evolved. He has a lot of stuff you might not see elsewhere.
Ken Reinard(The Colonial Angler) is a great guy. Ken and I fished together a couple of years ago and had a blast. His book on the history of flyfishing in colonial america is first rate. A very good history lesson. The day we fished together I almost did'nt know him as we dressed and fished with modern flyfishing gear.

Was there on Saturday and I loved it. Anyone stop by Safet Nikocevic's tying station? Very innovative guy.

Rolf - Bob Selb was there with a lot of great gear. As for rod builders, Rick Robbins showed me an 8 footer 3 piece that he has been developing for quite some time. He calls it The Holy Grail and it handles lines from 3 to 5 effortlessly. Might even work a 6, but I didn't try one. I remember Walton Powell was on this multiplicity of lines kick and he was able to design tapers in glass and bamboo that indeed covered a wide range. When he linked up with the British Hexagraph folks, he worked out some magnificent designs in a modern American (think dry fly fishing vs. sea trout with gangs of wets) and the first Hexagraph (graphite substrate but not tubular - the composites are layered together to simulate the natural morphology of cane) that he sold me is an 8 footer that truly handles 3, 4, 5 and 6 wt.

Ben Turpin has a number of nicely done repros and his work these days is sorely tempting.

One of my cane-hunting buddies fell in love with a couple of Brian Kleinchester's small trouters. His brand is Chester Rods and he has apprenticed under Robbins. His work is very very impressive, with delicious 4 wt and 5 wt tapers and I see some in my wine racks soon.

RonR was also in Bob's area and he's very knowledgeable about glass, and is getting into rolling some out of Hardy and other vintage blanks. He knows enough about the technology that I hope he puts together some mandrels that reflect his performance design thinking.

Not a large number of builders, but the ones who were there kept me busy and having fun.

tl
les

Les
How many rods do you own by now ?
When Ron Koenig was alive ,I think he told me you were at 150 or so rods

Hank, too many but also not enough. I've gotten a few dozen since RK passed. Tenkara is a new fascination, but a great cane or glass is hard to pass up.

tl
les

Thanks Les! Actually I just heard from Bob. He sold a Hawes for me at Somerset so that was some good news. Actually I was wondering if Art Weiler would be there. He has a new rod that sounds interesting. “Forks of the Delaware”, 8-1/2’, 3/2, 5 weight. Looks like I’ll have to pay him a visit instead.

Rolf

Why di I think this show was in March? Duh!

Chaz wrote:
Why di I think this show was in March? Duh!

It was when it was in Valley Forge last year.

I prefer having it earlier.

Les
Was just kidding with you !
There is never the right one !!!!!!!

I enjoyed the show. It was my first time going to one of these shows. I found a few good deals and watched lefty's casting seminar. Hard to believe he's 87! It was cool to watch him cast-very effortless and graceful. I was surprised by the way he ripped into/embarrassed guys for not casting right. I'd always imagined him as jolly, sort of like a fly fishing santa, hopefully it was just for show. Nevertheless i practiced some of the techniques when i got home and found them very helpful.

Be ready.. It went so well next year it is planned for the third weekend of March. Planning on adding some more vendor space. Way it sounds Pa may have a new home for a show. I loved it and more tired from Lancaster than Somerset. And no it was not from a late night.
Mike Heck

I was there for a few hours yesterday afternoon. Caught the tail end of a European guy casting a bamboo spey. Watched Clouser's presentation on casting weighted lines and flies and saw a little of Joe Humphries (have seen him before). Clouser can cast with the best of them - absolutely effortless. Thought there was a good number of vendors and a lot of tiers. Some deals to be had. Sorry Mike - saw you at your station but never made it over. I could have spent a lot of time watching the tiers but the guys I was with lured me away to Annie Bailey's. My first time in the convention center. Really nice. Think it's a great location and glad to hear there are already plans for next year.

McSneek, I likely saw you and didn't even know it.

I was there for a few hours Sunday afternoon. Wasn't really planning on going but it was close and I found a few hours. Outside of the celebrities, I only saw one guy I recognized, a friend from work. Talked to Mike for a minute or two and bought a few of his flies. Perused and bought a few flies from tiers. Picked up some tippet, loon knot sense, and a book. Test casted a rod or two. Watched Clouser do his thing, and then Humphries, both as impressive as ever. Skipped the seminars as they seemed to be the same ol stuff. Ate one of the worst burgers I've ever had. Signed up for my new local TU chapter, because, naughty me let my membership expire for a few months there.

Overall, pretty much exactly what I expected, which isn't good nor bad. Probably should have been fishing instead, so in that sense, not worth it. But still beat sitting at home. And I realized that, mentally, for me, attending a show seems to mark the end of one season and the beginning of another. If for no other reason, that was enough reason to attend. So, onward to the new season!

Back