Lancaster Fly Show

S

steve98

Disappointing to some extent.

All I am gonna say.

I thought that this show was much better than the one last week in the Poconos. I bought a tool that attaches to my vest to hold my fly rod. This will let me wade with two wading staffs. I also bought an $18.00 vise to help as a 3rd hand while a rig up my fly rods.

I did like the casting demos and I met krayfish2.

I live so close that I will probably go again today, especially since it is raining.

Steve,

Try to keep it in perspective. It was the Lancaster Fly Fishing Show and not The World Fly Fishing Show.

Barely got to walk around but seemed to be a decent selection of vendors and it was fairly crowded.

I went to Edison last year and Lancaster today. While it is certainly smaller, I had a good time and felt it was worth my while. Saw some interesting speakers on the Lehigh and on Smallmouth fishing and watched Gary Borger's casting demo.

Better than just sitting on the couch and drinking beer, which was my other option for a dreary Sunday. Although to be completely honest, I am now sitting on the couch and drinking beer ...

I was going to go to the show today but went to a bar on my way there. I spent less money at the bar than I would have at the show.

I am glad that I did something for my cabin fever last weekend in the Poconos and this weekend in Lancaster, where I live.

I really have everything that I need, but not everything that I want.

Next year I will probably go to the Edison Show. Since the Poconos is my home turf for fishing, I will probably go there. I live in Lancaster and will go see it again.

What I really need is for the weather to change so I can just go fishing with everything that I just bought at the last two shows that I attended and spent money.

Having been to numerous fly shows of all descriptions and sizes, I was not at all disappointed. I like the fact that Lancaster is a more petite show so I can get around. Apparently yesterday was packed, and today was less crowded as is the case for Sundays. It's always great to see friends and make some new ones. The two casting 'ponds' is a big plus so I got to play and evaluate sticks. There were some vendors new to me: I ended up impressed enough to snag a Qualifly Maverick reel and a Hardy glass to go with it (or vice versa). There was also a new vendor who didn't get to Edison, and he had interesting rod building stuff and a bunch of tippets new to me, including sizes down to 13X! There was a new hackle breeder and I plumb forgot to get some of his necks.

Saturday morning at 10 am I literally couldn't even walk the aisles were so packed with people. I don't mind the size/quality of the show at all, would just like a little wider walking lanes. I felt like I was constantly having to move to get into position to even look at things, I don't have that problem in Edison and it is 10x bigger with 20x more people.

Also, scored some pretty good deals by the end of the day. Got a Simms Dry Creek Duffle in perfect shape other than a few scuffs for 75 bucks.

I had a great time at the show. Good to see so many PAFFer's there, but sorry it sounds like I missed Les.

I spent a lot of time bothering GenCon, Krayfish, Tyger and Nick at the Wild Ease Outfitters

Nick Raftas' presentation on the Lehigh was really good and need to go there.

Good to see everyone I did, and nice to meet kray after all this time we've been being jerks together on the same threads.

Agree...I've become much more intrigued about the Lehigh from my time spent at the show.

I wasn't planning on buying much, as I just splurged on new rod a couple weeks ago, and for the most part I succeeded. My fiancé, who's been using all of my hand me down used fly boxes, bought one of Ry's new silicone double sided boxes...Really nice, and very high quality for the price. He threw in one of his new pink 6 weight lines for her...Very nice of him!

Saw a good deal (TCO I think?) on a pair of Redington wading boots I like, and currently own a pair of. VERY comfy, but I'm already beginning to blow the outer seams at only about 6 months of relatively light use...I think it's more me and the mileage I put on them than the boots, but I passed on them a second time.

My lady and I went - we enjoyed our self's as always. And I invested in a couple of thin fly boxes. I found out that they don't close completely when they are full of middle or larger size flies (If I get any smaller flies I'll never get them threaded on.) I bought a chest rod holder as well and set it up on my vest. Will see how it works come fishing season.

A little to expensive for my taste right know however, I did like the backpack set up that has a section that flips around to the front of you. I am waiting for one that comes with a pop up tent and sleeping bag. LOL.... Overall, it was good to get out of the house for awhile. We've been fighting the flu/cold season for quite some time.
And of course I didn't see any infant fly rods in order for me to get my 2 month old granddaughter started. HAHA?

Boy, if I went with some of your descriptions of me.... I'm a monster. LoL. Nice to meet ya Swattie and Montana FlyFisher too.

Hey Dave, was good to see you there. Thanks for the pics.

GenCon Michael Lohman

It was nice to meet you both too, crayfish and gencon, but that meeting ended up costing me something like $39 since I then had to buy 3 ruffed grouse tails after seeing how that breadcrust was tied.

Hey, but that’s not so bad compared to the $549 pair of Patagonia/Danner wading boots I ordered at the show. They advertise those boots as the last pair of wading boots you’re likely to ever need to buy. Hopefully, that will be the last pair of wading boots at THAT PRICE I will ever buy!

John

mt_flyfisher wrote:
It was nice to meet you both too, crayfish and gencon, but that meeting ended up costing me something like $39 since I then had to buy 3 ruffed grouse tails after seeing how that breadcrust was tied.

Hey John, it was nice meeting you as well. Glad you enjoyed the breadcrust. Need any pointers hit me up.

GenCon Michael Lohman

Back