Lancaster County Steam Names

J

JeffP

i was looking over an old stocking list from 1934 in an old Pa Angler. It listed 2 of the streams as Gladfelter Run and Unicorn Creek or McCulley's Creek. Anyone know what streams those might be referring too? By the way, it's an interesting issue. It complains about bad sportsmanship but has numerous pictures of large amounts of dead trout catches throughout. The creel limit was reduced from 25 to 20 that year.

The Great Depression occurred from August, 1929 to March, 1933. The high creel limit(s) had nothing to do with sportsmanship and the fishery was largely a subsistence fishery. People needed food and wild fish were one of the sources.

As for stream names, years ago a number of local names were recognized in PFC documents. That all began to change when the Coldwater Inventory, which later led to the stocked trout stream classification system’s implementation. A part of the CW Inventory, official stream names were researched and applied to all stocked trout waters with very rare exceptions associated with need for clarification, e.g. Valley Ck vs nearby W. Valley Ck. There was even one case in which the “locals” applied for and eventually received the satisfaction of the historical local name of an unnamed trib being officially assigned to that trib by USGS. That stream is Rock Run, Lancaster Co. (headwaters in Berks Co.).

Interesting. I think the official name for the small creek that flowed through my home town where I grew up was Step Creek (one of many).Severely polluted with AMD among other things. We used to call it turd run.

Googling turns up this:

There is a place name called Unicorn in southern Lancaster County.

Copy and paste these lat/lons into Google Maps or Acmemapper:

N 39.83746 W 76.15191

I'm guessing "Unicorn Creek" is the stream to the east of there.

As much as I like FDR, the Depression didn't end with his inauguration! There were like 5 pictures of many dead trout in the issue. The one pic shows about 25 brook trout and calls them beautiful but too many! The editorial for the issue is about sportsmanship. It does mention keeping trout under 9 inches and how it needs to be stopped. It strongly advocates for sportsmanship and you can definitely see the conservation ethic. I just find it interesting that they would still think it was ok to keep that many fish. it had been reduced by 5 from the previous year. Some great articles on Penns, brown trout, and the stocking list for that year.

Here's the link.

https://www.fishandboat.com/Transact/AnglerBoater/LegacyIssues/1930s/Documents/04april1934.pdf

Thanks Mike! It might be the West Branch of the Octorara or Beaver Creek.

it is the West Branch Octoraro Creek and just north of Puseyville Rd Stewart Run comes into the West Branch Octoraro Creek. I checked the F&BC Trout Water Classification site and it shows that all of the streams running into Octoraro Lake by White Rock are stocked trout streams.
Also just north of Puseyville Rd along Steward Run is Theodore A Parker III Natural Area and along West Branch Octoraro Creek is State Game lands No. 136

JeffP wrote:
Thanks Mike! It might be the West Branch of the Octorara or Beaver Creek.

Can you clarify? What might be the West Branch of the Octorara or Beaver Creek? Mike's posting about Rock Run in eastern Lancaster County, Dwight's posting about a place in Lancaster County called Unicorn (which has several streams nearby - some run into Conowingo and some into W. Branch Octoraro). And GeneBeam is posting about Stewarts :) So is Stewarts Unicorn and/or McCulley's?

I started looking into this while away over the weekend, but had such spotty reception, I gave up.

I'm 99% certain I've driven over a Gladfelter Run somewhere in my recent travels, but sure can't remember where.

A source that might be helpful (currently down for updates):
https://www.usgs.gov/core-science-systems/ngp/board-on-geographic-names/domestic-names

Old place names and streams might show up on old topos as well:
https://www.usgs.gov/core-science-systems/ngp/topo-maps/historical-topographic-map-collection

Before the old PA Angler issues, the annual report of the board of Fishery Commissioners (late 1800s into early 1900s) listed individuals who were sent fish eggs or fry, often with the creeks they were to be stocked into. Some of the tiny creeks (at least they are now) I drive over show up in those books and lists.

JeffP wrote:
As much as I like FDR, the Depression didn't end with his inauguration! There were like 5 pictures of many dead trout in the issue. The one pic shows about 25 brook trout and calls them beautiful but too many! The editorial for the issue is about sportsmanship. It does mention keeping trout under 9 inches and how it needs to be stopped. It strongly advocates for sportsmanship and you can definitely see the conservation ethic. I just find it interesting that they would still think it was ok to keep that many fish. it had been reduced by 5 from the previous year. Some great articles on Penns, brown trout, and the stocking list for that year.

Times and opinions change. In 100 years they might look back at our "conservation" and think we have done it poorly. That's the world for you. Just remember, 1930's weren't all that long after we slaughtered many animals to near extinction. Conservation was a new idea to us in this country.

Back