Lamson Reels Spools Falling Out

G

gungagalunga

Hello All,

I've got a Lamson Guru S 5 reel and a Lamson Speedster 2/3 reel, both of which have great easily adjustable drag systems, look great, sound great, and I have been really happy with them overall... However, once in a while on the water the gland cap comes loose and the spool falls into the water. Had the untimely luck of this happening again yesterday while on the Upper D while fighting a hot and heavy rainbow. Perfect storm of fighing fish, walking thorugh deeper current, and hurridly trying to collet my spool before it washed down stream. I will be reaching out to Lamson about any issues or quick fixes they may have outside of returning them for potential repair. I tave taken the reel apart for easy cleaning with a q-tip to remove dirt and debris only, but I have not added any lubricant per Lamson's reccomendations on their reel maintenace.

Would a short wrap of teflon tape be enough to prevent that from happening again?

Anyone else experience the same ?

Having owned lamson reels from the radius up to current models, my initial response is that the spool wasn't completely seated into the frame.

How old are they? If the reels are 10+ years old and you change spools frequently, parts do wear out and need replaced. Lamson had me send an older litespeed in and they gutted it. All new parts so the spool fit tightly.

Hello All,

I've got a Lamson Guru S 5 reel and a Lamson Speedster 2/3 reel, both of which have great easily adjustable drag systems, look great, sound great, and I have been really happy with them overall... However, once in a while on the water the gland cap comes loose and the spool falls into the water. Had the untimely luck of this happening again yesterday while on the Upper D while fighting a hot and heavy rainbow. Perfect storm of fighing fish, walking thorugh deeper current, and hurridly trying to collet my spool before it washed down stream. I will be reaching out to Lamson about any issues or quick fixes they may have outside of returning them for potential repair. I tave taken the reel apart for easy cleaning with a q-tip to remove dirt and debris only, but I have not added any lubricant per Lamson's reccomendations on their reel maintenace.

Would a short wrap of teflon tape be enough to prevent that from happening again?

Anyone else experience the same ?
Obligatory “did you lose the fish?” Inquiry

I've had my Lamson Liquid for four years without any issues at all. One of my better purchases.

Obligatory “did you lose the fish?” Inquiry
Yeah I lost it while attempting to shuffle down stream and keep tension. My nymph rig and air lock bobber broke off in the chaos. Haha, my only concern was to save my spool and fly line at the time. Fortunately, the rainbows were abundant. I reached out to Lamson and they told me to try a small amount of Blue Loctite (242) on the gland nut threads first. If it doesn’t help, they will get the reels in and fix them. Sounds reasonable to me.

On a side note, if anyone sees a pink air lock bobber moving around the Long Eddy section grab it for me!

It's usually dark by the time I get there and I'm rowing like hell to get out 😁

Ive had it happen with a old konic and a 34 inch striper. Did the same thing. Had to hand strip it in off a jetty. The drag is the same I think. In My case the black cap which the drag clicker gets it’s sound from wasn’t tight enough.

Ive had it happen with a old konic and a 34 inch striper. Did the same thing. Had to hand strip it in off a jetty. The drag is the same I think. In My case the black cap which the drag clicker gets it’s sound from wasn’t tight enough.
Yeah, I further explored this on several other forums with the same feedback and problems with different users. I will have to keep an eye on my Guru S 9+ while I'm surf fishing and be sure it does not happen there! Fished Rhode island this summer with this thought in the back of my mind each day, but fortunately I haven't had any spools fall out of that one yet.

I also have had a Lamson Liquid for the last three years or longer. I had problems with my spool falling off the reel two or three times. I agree with Krayfish2. The spool wasn't properly seated and screwed on. Once I did that, I haven't had any issues. I mainly use mine for Steelhead.

I've had this same problem with a Force XLT (I think that was the model) Speedster 2 and a Purist 2. Got rid of them all because of it and switched to Danielsson reels. Never looked back!

Ditto with a Lamson Liquid in 2021. Spool popped out when I made a roll cast. Didn't touch the reel and the line wasn't even pulling it. Hasn't happened since. I guess it wasn't seated properly but it does seem pretty easy to remove the spool with light pressure.

I have several older Lamson reels and have had the same problem with the spools becoming loose and popping out because of wear from use. I put in a shim to keep the spool tight tight to prevent this and now keep these these reels as backups.

Back