Laker trout on the fly and caught in a river?

Jlafko3

Jlafko3

The last few years I've come across numerous posts on Instagram from some guys who have been catching lake trout on their fly rods. I know for a fact these guys are from PA, and everytime I see their posts it makes me all pumped up and want to go chase some lakers.
The only problem is I don't have the slightest idea as to where they could be going. I believe they're focused more on the north central to north western part of the state. I've tried researching it online a handful of times and come up with zilch. If anyone has seen or heard anything like this leave a comment. Even though it may be unrealistic, I want to make it my goal for this season to land a lake trout on the fly so if anyone could point me in the right direction as to a certain area to scope out that would be awesome. My PMs are open too if you'd rather it be that.

Yes, some of the fly rod laker pics have found their way over here to PAFF over the years too.

When folks post photos - here or elsewhere - and don't identify the places they're fishing....their desire not to have the place identified should be respected.

If I were interested in the possibilities, I would visit the PFBC web site. Got to stocking, fingerling trout, and see where lakers are typically stocked. Then visit the tribs if you know that they are being caught in streams.

yes. you will want to fish the lake tribs in spring and fall when the water is dropping after a spate or freshet with a streamer.

timing is critical and you'll have to put the hours in just like any wild lake run or sea run fish.

I’ve caught plenty of lake trout at the mouths of streams in Alaska in late summer. They stack up there to munch on the fry as they leave the river.

In PA, I would have no idea about trib fishing for them but you might be able to catch them in lakes right at ice out.

Where in PA?

What lakes? What tribs?

geebee wrote:

spate or freshet

Both nouns. Essentially synonyms. A flood of a river or a large rush of fresh water to the sea as the result of heavy rain or snow melt.

Since I took the time to Google, thought I’d save everyone else the trouble.

Niagara River... they dont really fight well they shake their head really hard and roll around. Very easy to catch from mid October until thewater gets too warm (June).

I heard rumors of them being caught in salmon river NY. Never had the pleasure or see for myself but I could see it as a distinct possibility.

Very rare in the salmon river. Very common in the niagara river. Post a link with pic that shows the background. If it's something on your bucket list it's really not hard to do. Google niagara river artpark fishing access. Use lots of splitshot and drift egg patterns or streamers on the bottom. You will get hung up a lot. Once you figure it out (it shouldn't take long), you should be able to catch double digit fish in a day. After you land one that's about 15#, you'll realize you'd rather catch a 7# steelhead.

I have seen post of guys catching Lakers in Raystown try the tribs and spillways

I was also going to suggest Raystown. There is no doubt an avid following of Raystown's Lake Trout and I'm sure at times one ends up below the spillway. Also, just try to tribs to the lake. Maybe the Raystown branch that feeds it or Trough Creek. Trough Creek is also a well known spot where another sport fish congregate in Mass numbers so maybe Lakers too. The PFBC also watches for people poaching and illegally catching the said sport fish I'm referencing. That'd be a fun job I think. A poaching sting!

The Niagara River at Art Park is the only place I know of. I fished it once with spin gear. We didn’t do too good but it’s an experience and sight to see. I’d recommend checking it out sometime in your fishing career.

About 15 years ago in the November time frame I caught 3 or 4 lake trout in the Salmon river. I also witness several more being caught. They seems to be in the 3 to 5 lb range.

Back