Lake Panfish

FS I was broke of twice by Pickerel Saturday while using 4lb mono.

So if you use 4x or 3x that would be 6 and 8 lbs respectively and you say that is enough to protect you from loss?

It is a sweet lake though Ive been there only in the slow season. Not sure how busy it will be in summer. I also like Upper Woods Pond. Do you recommend anything else for Pan and Pickerel fishing in that area?

While not a Bass fisherman I'm now picky and I'm sure I'll catch plenty of Bass in the above pursuit.

Long term I'm hoping to get to know Frances E Walter Dam area for all that it contains. Kind of hard on my bones to fish there.

Pickerel: you could try wire leader or heavy fluorocarbon (30#). Alternately, you could use bigger, long shank hooks. Those teeth are brutal. Nothing with an X will be safe, in my experience.

Every lake and pond I've tried in NEPA has at least decent panfish, bass and pickerel. Exploring is a lot of the fun. The next 2 months are very good for these waters. Some get algae blooms from pollution.

Regarding FEW, I have not fished it. It seems like a lot of work for a below average lake.

I will PM some suggested lakes.

PM is perfect. This Saturday I'm taking the grandson panfishing. While he is 13 and almost 6' tall he has not had great exposure to fishing and as long as we're catching anything it will be nice. I even thought Tobyhanna but some locals said that the Crappy and Pickerel are bigger in Goldsboro.
I like Wayne county as well but, living in Easton, its a haul. Once the algae blooms start I'll be up there.

my daughter just gave me some 20 or 25 lb mono and I might try that as a short bite tippet.

The Panfish were up and at it on Pocono Lakes this weekend. Due to the boat situation I was forced to use spinning gear but was able to put two different grandchildren onto trout, pickerel, perch, shiners and bluegill. We caught enough to have a fish fry and also put seven trout into the freezer.
I can hardly wait for the opportunity to FF for Pans.

I fished a local farm pond yesterday (5-7-20) I figured it would be a little early but thought I'd try anyway since this pond also has a few crappies.

Fishing was slow, no gills were seen in the shallows, but by casting out a little farther and slow retrieval I caught 8 big slab bluegills between 81/2 and 9 1/2"

I usually fish any generic nymph for gills but I had the best luck on a small size 12 wolly bugger. This pond usually has the shallows teeming with bass and bluegills so I think another week or two before peak fishing.

I catch them through the cold weather in the deepest part of a friend pond right next to the stand pipe in 13' of water. lots of fun.
What region are you in?

Baron, In Lehigh County, just W of Allentown.

Anyone hitting Panfish this week. I was out and did poorly. Did the cold spell kill it?

Anyone hitting Panfish this week. I was out and did poorly. Did the cold spell kill it?

Back