Lake Marburg walleye, etc biologists' report posted

M

Mike

http://fishandboat.com/images/reports/2015bio/6x10_13marburg.pdf

Interesting (the short version is that many adult walleyes were found).

I'm curious about the decision to drop fingerling stocking. Will this just be for 2015 and fingerlings will be resumed? Or will stocking abate permanently (or for many years, such as in the 1990s); or might these issues be handled on a year by year basis? It seems odd that a single year's data (albeit very good data) would warrant dropping the fingerling plan.

Also, on a different note, does the PFBC plan to survey muskies and pike in Marburg (many of us inquiring minds would be curious about toothies)?

It's experience, so no further studies are needed. When fish are that thin, drastic measures are justified. Plus, I am about ninety percent or more certain of the cause. I think the report says that stockings will return to a more normal rate. I would expect that to begin in the next couple of years, but it might also change based on our assessment of favorable or unfavorable reports of directed walleye angling from WCO's and trusted anglers. If limited targeting takes place, then the need for stocking comes into doubt. Perhaps the lake has become primarily a bass, panfish, and muskellunge fishery.

As for muskies, when the reports and photos of good catches and large fish (up to 50 in) keep coming in, there is little reason to do a survey. The fishery is good. Even the tigers are getting large (46 in).

Back