Lake galena in bucks county

Dear Javelin389t,

I used to fish it a lot up to about 1983 when I moved away from Lower Bucks County. In the late 1970's about 4 years after it opened it fished really well, but by the time I moved away it had started to decline. That kind of fits in with how all the reservoirs in Bucks County have fared over my lifetime as a kid who moved to Feasterville in 1964.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)
Hi Tim. I never fished peace valley much but if I remember correctly in the late 80’s you used have to wade out through the catttails toward the shallow end to even cast from shore and think it had some underwater veg. I don’t think bucks reservoirs went down hill. I used to fish nock. a lot. IMO it was always a little tough, but if you spent some time there it was and still is an excellent lake. It has changed a bit since the time I fished it regularly. Mainly the veg. a lot more pads than there used to be. and both far ends have silted in more. Mike. Just throwing this out there. Could perkiomen creek below the reservoir ever be a stocked trout fishery? Mainly thinking fall/water fishery ? Plenty of access with trail, just wasn’t sure if water conditions were ok or if trout would adversely effect smallmouths , or other fish in system.

Hi Tim. I never fished peace valley much but if I remember correctly in the late 80’s you used have to wade out through the catttails toward the shallow end to even cast from shore and think it had some underwater veg. I don’t think bucks reservoirs went down hill. I used to fish nock. a lot. IMO it was always a little tough, but if you spent some time there it was and still is an excellent lake. It has changed a bit since the time I fished it regularly. Mainly the veg. a lot more pads than there used to be. and both far ends have silted in more. Mike. Just throwing this out there. Could perkiomen creek below the reservoir ever be a stocked trout fishery? Mainly thinking fall/water fishery ? Plenty of access with trail, just wasn’t sure if water conditions were ok or if trout would adversely effect smallmouths , or other fish in system.
Sorry. typo. Fall / winter fishery

Sorry. typo. Fall / winter fishery
Dear javelin389t,

Like I said, I grew up in Feasterville. Once I got a 10 speed for my 12th birthday, I rode to Churchville Reservoir several days a week during the summer. Back then we could catch crappies at the bridge, but for real fun we went back in the coves and wade fished running from the patrolmen as needed. It was where I taught myself who to fly fish using a hand-me-down Montgomery Wards fly rod and a Martin reel my Uncle Andy gave to me.

It was a great place to fish as a kid. Around 1985 when I was fishing Hurricane Lake in Baker Florida I ran into an older Southern gentleman. He asked me, "Yankee, where you from?" I told him outside of Philadelphia. He said "Whereabouts., my daughter used to live in Churchville PA?" I said, "I used to ride my bike there to fish." He went on to say that one time he drove up to visit his daughter in the late 1960's, and he took a couple packs of Mann's Jelly worms and his trusty ABU 5000 bait caster. This was a man who lived on the FL/AL state line and knew how to bass fish. He told me that fishing in Churchville Reservoir was some of the best bass fishing he ever experienced.

When Core Creek/Lake Luxemburg opened up it was a great place to fish too. I moved away in 1983 and never really fished Nockamixon.

Sorry for the long post, but thanks for bringing back memories.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

there are trout below the dam for about a mile or 2. theres been private stocking. water does stay cool from water cooling in pipe coming out of dam and springs in the area. my uncle owned the farm at the callowhill bridge. the stream is north branch neshaminy creek.

Back