lake flies

another

Attachments

• forum pics 044.jpg
    forum pics 044.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 3
Jay, I was watching a FF show regarding fishing for bass on their spawning bed and how they should not be molested. I found it funny.
I personally have always loved the pre-spawn move up from the winter depths, but had no problems throwing a big pink or yellow needle worm on to the bed and quivering it until the egg laden female picked it up to move it. I would haul her in, release her and she would go back to her bed. I do have issues with sight fishing spawn beds, transporting to another portion of the lake for weigh in, then releasing the fish at another location in the lake. I don't know if they move on to vacated beds, find new beds, or if they just spew the eggs in the lake. I guess LMB and SMB are so much more resilient and not as fragile trout. I mean trout anglers are (should) be conscious of redds, but bass anglers actively seek them out. BTW, catching a large egg laden female on a bed is a very hard thing to do, as they do not feed or protect like the males do.

How do you know if its a male or female sitting on the bed ?

Fredrick wrote:
How do you know if its a male or female sitting on the bed ?

The males are smaller and the females are HUGE!..and look like they swallowed a cantalope...:lol:

I fished the beds down in Lake George in Florida. I did it once, not me cup of tea. Bass boats surrounding the beds anchored while tossing lures (weighted plastic worms, salamanders) in the bed and waiting for the fish to pick it up.

Note that on Lake George and many other FL lakes, buoys are put around some of the spawning areas and are closed to fishing. Apparently the FL F&G Dept. see a need to protect at least some of the spawning areas from the anglers.

Males do not sit on the beds. They make the beds, then they hang out waiting for hot chicks to swim by to check out their house making capability. Once a suitor has established on the nest, the male ferociously defends his woman. Males will smash anything coming near the beds. Females, again, will simply move anything that come onto the bed.

Sandfly, checked out the youtube. The spirit of a whacky rigged senko is there, but it seems a bit stiff. Not sure how much action it would impart and it seems the action would be "fast and stiff" rather than fluid and soft. Having said that, I still think they would work fine, especially in pre-spawn for LMB.

Back