lake flies

sandfly

sandfly

been fishin in the pontoon on some local lakes. Gettin a few fish here and there. Gonna go out again this week, here are a few I tied up for bass:

Attachments

• 8-17-2010 007.jpg
    8-17-2010 007.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 16
  • 8-17-2010 009.jpg
    8-17-2010 009.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 8-17-2010 001.jpg
    8-17-2010 001.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 4
Few more:

Attachments

• 8-17-2010 014.jpg
    8-17-2010 014.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 8-17-2010 017.jpg
    8-17-2010 017.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 8-17-2010 018.jpg
    8-17-2010 018.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 4
you my friend are good at tying.

Nice ties.

BTW, I've been putting the Swannundaze to good use.

cool, glad you have fun with it. I'm going to make some flies with swannundaze and cover in Gellies to see what happens,

Very nice.
Just speaking for myself - although I suspect Sandfly would agree - creative inspiration to experiment with fly design and function often flows from spin lures and their various applications. For me, at least, this is particularly true for bass flies. I think that FFers often become somewhat insular in their thinking and esp where fly tying is concered, merely focus on what everyone else is tying or fishing. Once in awhile, I think it's useful to take some time and examine what is currently trendy and new in the conventional lures playing field....Then take some time to think about WHY and HOW these new lures work and how might one design flies that incorporate these features. It's long been my contention that occasional forays into spin fishing will make a FFer better at FFing.

Whatever the case, these are some fine flies.

Fishidiot wrote:
Very nice.
Just speaking for myself - although I suspect Sandfly would agree - creative inspiration to experiment with fly design and function often flows from spin lures and their various applications. For me, at least, this is particularly true for bass flies. I think that FFers often become somewhat insular in their thinking and esp where fly tying is concered, merely focus on what everyone else is tying or fishing. Once in awhile, I think it's useful to take some time and examine what is currently trendy and new in the conventional lures playing field....Then take some time to think about WHY and HOW these new lures work and how might one design flies that incorporate these features. It's long been my contention that occasional forays into spin fishing will make a FFer better at FFing.

Whatever the case, these are some fine flies.

I agree FI. I've been trying, with limited success I may add, to duplicate a plastic worm (like a Senco - without the scent!) for FFing SMB. I've tried rabbit strip, Ultra Chenille, Chamois, leather. Sandy may be on to something with his goop. Also Sandy, how are those top lies tied?

Anyone else have any ideas?

I've been working on a senko as well. No luck.

Ha. Yeah, if they want senkos, they're getting the real thing from me... for now.

Senko worm (worm hook in through middle then twitched under water) I braid my materials for the worm flies some are 8" long, add lead front 1/3 to act like a carolina rig. I'll do a senko today.

Yep, I hook it through the middle (wacky rig). I'd love to see the results.

Answered my own ??? its just a small worm rigged with no weight, easy. Do you meen these.

Attachments

• 8-2-09 008.jpg
    8-2-09 008.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 4
Bob's wacky worm:
Mustad 3116A #1
Crystal chennille braided with a piece of 50 lb. ande line to give it the spring.
A pic of the work area today.after fishin all morning.

Attachments

• forum pics 028.jpg
    forum pics 028.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 2
  • forum pics 026.jpg
    forum pics 026.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 3
They would work, but I'm not sure if the wacky rig is necessary or not.

I'd imagine they should be weighted. The senkos sink pretty fast.

The%20Mo2.jpg

Edit. You beat me to it.

Looks good! I gotta give it to ya on the 50lb mono idea. Pretty clever.

Once they are wet the sink rate is close to the same if not a small amount of lead works.

Here you go tweed http://www.taneycomotrout.com/howtotiegulleyworm.html

"Attach the weed guard back and you're ready to get on those bass beds during the spawn."

I have always been shocked at the cavalier attitude about harassing spawning bass.

I've tried the "wacky rig" (hook in the middle) and the problem is the body gets hooked on the hook point all the time when you cast. Maybe using weed guard is the solution.

super fluke on a fly rod = success

Back