Lake Erie Shore Fishing

streamerguy

streamerguy

I'm thinking of heading up to fish the surf or bays of the big pond this weekend. I don't really care what I catch whether its sheephead, perch, bass, whatever just want to try out something new. Anyone have any pointers? I'll probably be fishing the Ohio shoreline since its closer but I'll be in Presque Isle fishing this fall also. I've only caught one drum before on the fly so I might want to target them. Thanks in advance!

I don't really know anything about shore fishing Ohio waters. I'd guess that the mouth of Conneaut Creek would be ok...just a guess though. I think that you can always find Drum (some pretty big) off of the shore. I've had luck this summer with Clouser minnows on Drum. Night fishing may be a little more productive, as it is cooler, but most of the fish...smallies, walleye, 'bows, and browns are off in deeper water.

Presque Isle in the fall should be more productive. You might even see some steelhead starting to move in to the bay by then.

I'm sure there are more educated members on this board that could help you out...and Drum are often over looked, but they can be a lot of fun on a fly rod.

steelies might be along the shoreline in pre-spawn runs. fish creek and river mouths. make sure you take a shooting basket to be able to make long cast. look for carp too.

I would watch where I went this weekend, big invasion going on!!
http://www.ddayohio.us/schedule.htm

Thanks for the replies, I was also thinking Conneaut and maybe check out new spots on the creek for steelies coming up. Might have to spot by and see the invasion!

Back