Lafontaine Deep Sparkling Pupa for the tulpehocken ?

R

ralphs007

Hi
I'd like to know what colors and size would be best , for fishing this fly on the tully.
Thanks in advance.

Tan, olive, caddis green

Sizes 14-18.

Applies to any body of water that has caddis in it.

Just don't plan on using this fly for trout in the Tully til the middle/end of September unless you plan on harvesting. The Tully is too warm right now.

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Just don't plan on using this fly for trout in the Tully til the middle/end of September unless you plan on harvesting. The Tully is too warm right now.

Tully Temp

Surprisingly the Tully is still running cool enough for fishing (mid to high 60's). The flow has been running low for quite some time and apparently there is still cool water released from the dam. The history has been that the water temps begin to run tepid towards the end of July, but still fishable right now.

I saw that this morning!

I looked yesterday, though at Bernville , and as you can see, it was in the lower to mid 70s:

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?01470779

A guy at a local fly shop recommended I try the tully. He said to take 422 west to 222. He mentioned a bridge there that he liked to fish.
I was playing Arrowhead golf course Monday,and my gps,said I was 6 minutes away,from this spot.I would have liked to check it out,but my brother a non fishermen was with me,and he'd wouldn't have liked my trout stream search mission.
How close was I to some decent fishing on Monday?I don't want your fishing spots,I'd just like to try fishing the tully.Looking at a map,it looks like I was very close to this spot.He mentioned a couple of turns I needed to make,but I made the mistake of not writting them down,Lol.
P.S
I release the trout I catch,so I wouldn't want to stress them out,when the water gets too warm.

The Tully is fun for a stocked fishery. The trout can be picky, the rise and take dries for much of the year, the drawback is that it gets too warm in the summer months. Usually by now, it's "unfishable" for trout due to temps. If the trout were left alone (there's always SOMEONE who's fishing it even when it's not safe for the fish), there'd probably be a much higher holdover rate than there is. Still, in the Fall you can get some nice holdovers.

I like to fish the Tully in the late Fall when the wild trout are spawning on other streams. Provides me with some good action while not fishing over spawning trout. It also makes for a nice winter fishery.

ralphs007 wrote:
A guy at a local fly shop recommended I try the tully. He said to take 422 west to 222. He mentioned a bridge there that he liked to fish.
I was playing Arrowhead golf course Monday,and my gps,said I was 6 minutes away,from this spot.

Your gps was wrong. Arrowhead golf course is in Douglassville which is far more than six minutes from the Tully.

ralphs007 wrote:
I was playing Arrowhead golf course Monday,and my gps,said I was 6 minutes away,from this spot.I would have liked to check it out,but my brother a non fishermen was with me,and he'd wouldn't have liked my trout stream search mission.
How close was I to some decent fishing on Monday?I don't want your fishing spots,I'd just like to try fishing the tully.Looking at a map,it looks like I was very close to this spot.He mentioned a couple of turns I needed to make,but I made the mistake of not writting them down,Lol.
P.S
I release the trout I catch,so I wouldn't want to stress them out,when the water gets too warm.

The county guide map to trout streams appears on the home page of the PFBC site:

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/county.htm

It's a Google based map that allow you to zoom in on any area to find stocked, special regulation and Class A trout streams. The Tully is in Berks County / Reading area. Zoom in to find the stream. You can also change it from map mode to satellite image mode for more detail. All roads and parking areas are visible in satellite image map. Good luck.

Thank you.I found the county guide map after I made this post.I also found some information on the best flies to use on the tully too.

Back