Lackawanna Smallmouth?

djs12354

djs12354

Recently heard of smallies in the Lackawanna as far north as jermyn and I took the report. I was thinking that my friend was just busting on me until I had independent confirmation at the Newbie Fish and Chips event.

I wuld not have been surprised to hear of smallies close to where the Lackawanna dumps into the Susquehanna, but further north was interesting.

Has anyone from the forum hit any on the Lack and roughly where?

What do you think is the potential impact on the trout fishery?

I've never fished the Lack, but it is not uncommon to find Smallmouth in trout streams. Though trout favor cold water, and bass favor warmer water, there will often be a transitional zone were both trout and bass will readily co-exist.

Though I've heard of smallmouth populations hurting trout fisheries in other states, I wouldn't imagine that they will pose a problem in the Lack.

Long story short, go out and enjoy catching them :-D

goodfortune wrote:
I've never fished the Lack, but it is not uncommon to find Smallmouth in trout streams. Though trout favor cold water, and bass favor warmer water, there will often be a transitional zone were both trout and bass will readily co-exist.

Though I've heard of smallmouth populations hurting trout fisheries in other states, I wouldn't imagine that they will pose a problem in the Lack.

Long story short, go out and enjoy catching them :-D

+1.

yep caught a bunch of smalls down in the scranton area and moosic area.

It's my understanding from some very reliable sources that some bucket biologists decided to (illegally, I think) stock smallies in the Lack around the confluence with Roaring Brook. This can have a negative effect on the wild trout population.

FlySwatter wrote:
It's my understanding from some very reliable sources that some bucket biologists decided to (illegally, I think) stock smallies in the Lack around the confluence with Roaring Brook. This can have a negative effect on the wild trout population.

SMBs have been present in the Lackawanna for a very long time. Way before the wild trout took hold. I wouldn't worry.

Back