Labor Day Weekend

M

mkoloch

Over the past year, I have spent alot more time fishing saltwater. Mostly due to the fact that my parents have a place close to the DE shore points and other family members had places in NJ and else where. So needless to say, the Summer has been busy. My time and attention to smallies has been few and far between. Mostly due to time restraints and weather/water levels when I do have time.

Moving on....The saltwater fishing has been very good so far this year. At least for me! Labor day weekend though, was a struggle at best. The surf was all messed up, water was very off color due to the passing hurricane. Plus a bizillion people make the "last weekend" of summer venture to the shore. All that said, we found a decent school of blues, maybe 4"-8" close to a nice protected cove. They had bait all balled up and between the blues and needle nose fish, it was a buffet. I got on the phone ASAP. Not calling any buddies alerting them to the blitz, but to my cousin. He has two little kids! It was like bluegill fishing in a pond for them, bobber and all!! It was great to watch them real in fish after fish on basically trout set-ups. I on the other hand was throwing the long rod, which made for a very fun afternoon. It was nothing great, IFGA won't be calling any time soon, but we had an absolutely blast. Even had my wife come down and get into the action, which made her day. My wife, new mommy, has not been fishing for over 20+ months!

Attachments

• First Saltwater Flyrod Fish-1.JPG
    First Saltwater Flyrod Fish-1.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 17
What a cool report! Sounds like a great time for the whole family. "Snapper" blues are great fun on light tackle and have saved a few summer beach trips for me.

Back