Korkers Question

jerseygeorge

jerseygeorge

OK. So I went to the Somerset Show and bought a new pair of Korkers Chrome with the replaceable soles. I did not even get a show discount, tells you how much pain I was in from my previous boots. (Simms).

They fit quite well, and I like the Boa system. Time will tell on that.

Quick question: How the heck do you remove the soles? Is there some method that is more elegant than just yanking/ripping them off? That seems totally wrong and like it would damage where the cleats lock into the boot.

There is a video on their website on how to put them on (strap on and step on them). But nothing on removal and I want to do it right and not tear something up.

In advance, thank you.

I unclip the back strap and peal them off by grabbing the sole a little at a time from the heal to the toe. I pull at each clip one at a time.

I don't pull on the strap like you would if you were opening a pull tab can to take them off.

Will give it a try. On another post someone mentioned damaging the shoes or sole, not sure which, and having to get a replacement.

I slide my hand under the sole as I go, way easier than the old design. But I wouldnt just grab the tab and pull like Aducker said. It does take a bit of force to get them off. When you put the new sole on just make sure the sole and boot bottom are cleam with no debris.

Love2fish wrote:
I slide my hand under the sole as I go, way easier than the old design. But I wouldnt just grab the tab and pull like Aducker said. It does take a bit of force to get them off. When you put the new sole on just make sure the sole and boot bottom are cleam with no debris.

I guess I didn't write my note it the way I should have. What I was trying to say is basically what you do Love2fish and just work the sole little by little all the way down to the toe. That's what I meant by grabbing the sole.
You are correct, Don't pull them off just by grabbing the tab and pulling them off. :)

I have the metalhead boot with the same sole. I agree with the advice given so far.

I got a pair of studded felt soles for my boots and they are marvelous. I use them unless its illegal (to use felt) or there's snow on the ground.

@ jerseygeorge; that was my worst experience with the Korker's boots, they do not explain the best way to get the soles off. As said above, work it slow from heel to toe. I usually use something to aid the tabs in working loose. I actually broke a tab on one of the soles, and they sent me a new pair.

You have enough info to answer your question.

BOA suggestions: Wear gravel guards and after each use take apart the screwy knob thing and wash it out (i take a toothbrush to get the fine sediment out). They will last much longer.

You should have had a key to remove then that was in the box the boots came in.

Chaz wrote:
You should have had a key to remove then that was in the box the boots came in.

The need for a key/tool was "engineered out" for OmniTrax v3.0 soles (or at least I think I remember reading that somewhere).

Yes the omnitrax do not need have a key. Pull of step on.

Back