Korkers Deal on STP

I've worn Devils Canyons now for around 10 years. At first, I had no idea about the BOA and only bought them because a buddy told me the the big studded soles were a gamechanger on the north branch (100% true). I have a pair of 13s for the winter and 12s for the rest of the year. I've spent a lot of days in them and never have thought had a broken BOA much less carried a back up. That being said if they do break I'm blaming swattie and this thread!

Sorry Ryan, haha!

The BOA thing is a personal preference type of deal. Some guys like it, some guys view it as a potential contingency that doesn’t need to exist. No right or wrong there.

That being said, regardless of the lacing system, Korkers builds the most durable wading boots. I wasn’t sure I’d like the feel of the heel lock feature on my current pair (Buckskins), but I do. Has definitely stopped me from rolling an ankle several times, and I don’t think they’re too stiff. Like anything else, they break in.

They’re not quite as comfy for hiking than the lighter “ultralight” style of wading boots, but I could never get a pair of those to last more than a year before the seems start coming apart, and the Korkers aren’t that far off in terms of comfort. They’re very comfortable, you just notice the weight a little more after about 5 miles in them. I still have a pair of UL boots that I wear on small streams with a lot of hiking miles planned, but if you made me go with just one pair for everything, it’d be the Korkers, by a mile.

For what it’s worth, one other hobby of mine aside from fly fishing is mountaineering. We trust BOA systems in our climbing boots under conditions that make wading through even the coldest rivers look downright tropical. This is a balmy -40 degree day at 20,310 feet in Alaska. I wouldn’t sweat it too hard about making the change. Just stick to the major brands that don’t cheap out on hardware.

Attachments

• E6D3139C-0FED-4D22-8A9F-57F4FFA313F0.jpeg
    E6D3139C-0FED-4D22-8A9F-57F4FFA313F0.jpeg
    355.5 KB · Views: 12
I saw the 11’s sold out. How much higher above shoe size do you go? Guess
I have to figure out how much cold weather fishing I will be doing. I realize you need space for extra or thicker socks when fishing in winter.

Korkers run small IMO. I buy one size bigger from them than I do most wading boot manufacturers. Actual shoe size is 10.5. I buy 11 wading boots, 12 if Korkers. FWIW.

Edit: New ones came today. Haven’t tried them on but they’re dimensionally identical to my size 12 Buckskins. Also, FWIW.

Width is usually the issue for me, and when I can, I buy my boots in wide sizes. Never had an issue with width on the standard Korkers though. (I don’t think they make them in wide.)

Last edited:
Korkers run small IMO. I buy one size bigger from them than I do most wading boot manufacturers. Actual shoe size is 10.5. I buy 11 wading boots, 12 if Korkers. FWIW.

Edit. New ones came today. Haven’t tried them on but they’re dimensionally identical to my size 12 Buckskins. Also, FWIW.

Width usually the issue for me, and when I can, I buy my hiking boots in wide sizes. Never had an issue with width on the standard Korkers though. (I don’t think they make them in wide.)
Dear Swattie,

Thanks for the valuable explanation of the sizing for Korkers. I wear a 12 EEEE shoe and I have never found a size 13 wading shoe that was cramped or uncomfortable. I wasn't planning on buying new wading boots but the Korkers deal seemed interesting. However, I'm a little apprehensive to move up to size 14's without actually trying them on.

Thanks to you I saved some dough and instead put it towards a couple of camera lenses! ;)

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

That's interesting. I have not found Korkers to run small. I wear a 13 or 13w in most shoes and boots. I need 14's in Nike and Reebok. Size 13 Korkers fit me just fine, even with heavy socks under my waders. If you're a 12 wide, I would not go to a 14 in Korkers.

Back