Koorkers vs Simms?

robkonowitch

robkonowitch

I have 2 pair of White River boots... One felt and one regular. Knowing I slip a bit, I have been looking at studded boots but not sure whether koorkers or Sims are the way to go.

Any input?

Take a look at the LL Bean Grey Ghost studded boots for a comparable price boot. Ive had good luck with them and know others have too. Money back from Bean if not satisfied.

Should be moved to the Gear Talk forum. And OP, you might want to do a search, as this topic has been discussed numerous times.

Put your own screws in your felts.

Chota STL's! Things are built like a tank. Felts with studs game over.

What are you looking for Rob? Brand new with tags..... Simms guide boots, felt sole, size 12.

Sorry... Size 9 and not sure what I want to spend

Chita STL is definitely the way to go. My first pair lasted 8 or 9 years before they cracked (but still usable).

I'm a 9.5 dress shoe / sneaker

Bought them big (like my last pair) and wear extra thick sock. Never had more comfy supporting boot.

What is your budget? I love my current Simms G3's. The fit is excellent and they are pretty rugged. I have a mix of Star cleats and studs on them and they provide more than enough traction on slick stuff.

I don't think you will find a more comfortable boot then Simms. You can add as many cleats as you want and as they wear down just replace them

I do have a pair of the before mentioned LL bean boots and they are a good boot but I didn't think they were comfortable enough and didn't provide as much traction as I would of hoped.

Simms. I don't like the idea of removable soles, seems like they will deteriorate quickly with wear.

I am on my second pair of rivershed boots with studs and I love them. I got 4 and a half years of 100+ days on the water out of the first pair and they are still usable as back ups. The big problem with them is the tread is worn down and the studs fall out easily now. I got sick of constantly replacing the studs so I bought a new pair.

I recommend the Orivs posigrip studs, their the best I've ever used!

So... i guess everyone loves their Simms

Swore to never purchase another pair after I bought mine.

yes, very much so. Started with riversheds (2pairs) and then decided to try the Guide boots the last time when they were on sale. The guide boots are great, but I will go back to the riversheds. My estimation is the exterior will last longer on the guides. However, they are heavier and stiffer (good for support, but bad for long hikes). While having the exterior last longer sounds good, my experience with the rivershed is that about the time the exterior shows enough wear, the support within broke down enough where the comfort factor dropped. I buy Simms upper end boots for their sole support and comfort. They are superior IMO. If it was just longevity of the uppers and soles/per dollar, I'd still be buying multiple 90.00 boots. When I was under 35 yo, the support was not as big of an issue. Now it is. The support is both comfortable and allows me to wade more easily.

Simms Freestone boots are on sale at The Fly Rod Shop for $109 + free shipping. I've had a pair for over a year and they show no signs of wearing out. Good ankle support and comfortable.

Rob
I'll echo the previous post. Rivershed and guide boot will be more substantial than the othe models. I'm also in agreement with Becker...I like the chota for a studded felt model which are increasingly hard to find. I'm old school studded felt for better grip

Simms guide boots here with alum star studs and the other single carbides interspursed. $270 out the door but I am happy with them. I was also just as happy with greys platinums with studs for $109 but couldnt get them to last more than two years before the sides would blow out...so if these simms last another 4 years I suppose I am ahead.

Back