knot?

Key to success with anything and I applaud you: "Practice, practice, practice. "

What I think is working for me with the non-slip knot is to get the forming bird's nest as close to the hook eye as possible very slowly, even closer than I think is good enough.

From there, wet with saliva, and the pull all three ends uniformly and simultaneously, and lastly the tag end separately.

I want a very small non-slip knot close to the hook eye. I am much better at this than when I started at the beginning of the weekend, which will be five days for me since I get my Remicade infusion tomorrow.

I am going to a tackle shop in Columbia afterwards and buy a heavier pound test, colored line and keep practicing.

I am going to get good at the trilene, improved clinch, and non-slip knots.

I might even practice doing this to pass the time during my infusion.

Up next is fly casting lessons at the Orvis school in Blue Ridge Summit, PA.

I am going to improve as a fly fisherman. I am improving and getting better. Winter is approaching and will change everything. We all know that.

I need to be able to tie those three knots in the dark with out even thinking about it, and really need to improve my fly casting. I am improving at this but know that I am not quite there just yet.

I will get there.

Rumicade. Must be a lifesaver when tying.

I use the clinch and blood knot for almost all my fly fishing.

BrookieChaser wrote:

I use three knots, the clinch (for nymphs and dries), the blood (leader building), and the non-slip loop knot (streamers, shrimp, etc). Those knots have held everything from trout to tarpon.

X2 on these same knots.
Mainly because they're the knots I was taught as a kid by my Dad.

What ever knot or knots you choose wet the when you tighten them. I use uni's for my tying both fresh and salt. With my old artheritic mitts I still can get a good knot tied. Also if you don't like the look of a knot just retie it. Better that than loosing a good fish to a bad knot. Now twisting wire is a fun treat . Happy haywire twist to one and all. Good thing I twisted up some stingers rigs a while back. GG

What ever knot or knots you choose wet the when you tighten them. I use uni's for my tying both fresh and salt. With my old artheritic mitts I still can get a good knot tied. Also if you don't like the look of a knot just retie it. Better that than loosing a good fish to a bad knot. Now twisting wire is a fun treat . Happy haywire twist to one and all. Good thing I twisted up some stingers rigs a while back. GG

In no particular order...

Clinch

Davey...small profile esp good for small flies.

Dbl/Triple Surgeons...leaders, tippet w tags

Open loop...mostly for streamers

Blood knot...just because I can after staying up all night practicing to learn it.

Pretty sure " improved " clinch has been debunked.

I also use the Davey knot. It is easy and strong, especially on small flies.

Practice, practice, practice. I have really struggled with this Lefty Kreh non slip knot.

I can tie it just fine with a 2"-3" loop, which I don't want. I want that loop knot much closer between the tippet and fly. I am improving at this while watching football. This is a very difficult knot for me to tie.

I know that I can tie the trilene knot to my tippet ring and than a trilene knot from there to my flies that I am going to fish depending on conditions: improved clinch and more importantly, the non slip knot.

When I want to do something bad enough I will figure it out. I want to be able to tie the trilene, improved clinch, and non slip knots in the dark when I can't see what I am doing. I will get there with enough practice.

Improving my casting is up next. I am not bad but want to get better. I am going to take fly casting lessons from TCO and Orvis. I want to be better than good.

If I can just knock out the tying what I want to do and make all of the casts that I want to make, I will soon be where I want to be.

I want to be a good fly fisherman and think that I am close to being there.
I also had difficulty as well but recently learned that a double surgeon's knot can work as well for creating a loop in front of the fly.

Uni Knot! Make sure you wet the knot before tightening. GG

I'm in with the Davy Knot for tying on the fly. Double Surgeon for adding tippet and blood knot for my tapered leaders. Davy is so easy and the smallest knot possible.

If nothing else, these tools are just very good at keeping the three lines involved(leader, tag end, and tippet to fly tight and straight and tight so making the loops much easier.

At 62, I am not getting any younger. I really want to get better as a fly fisherman. The two basics are fly casting and knot tying. I want to get better.

I will get better.
If I wanted to get better at fly fishing I would spend more time on the water, learning where trout/other fish lie, reading currents, learning bug habitat, etc. Buying a bunch of gadgets just, to my thinking, complicates things and makes it harder to learn. In the past 10 yrs I have rid myself of all crap other than flies, tippet, thermometer, shot, nippers, and floatant.
Over the past 50 yr of fly fishing I use a) blood knot for tying leader butt sections, b) triple surgeon for tippet sections, and c) clinch and Davey knots for flies - Davey for flies smaller than 16.
The clinch knot is so easy to tie that I've seen 7 year old kids do it in 10 seconds.

Good luck to you in your pursuit of fly fishing.

Rapala knot is way too easy to tie and I never had it fail, it give the fly or lure a better action.

Practice, practice, practice. I have really struggled with this Lefty Kreh non slip knot.

I can tie it just fine with a 2"-3" loop, which I don't want. I want that loop knot much closer between the tippet and fly. I am improving at this while watching football. This is a very difficult knot for me to tie.

I know that I can tie the trilene knot to my tippet ring and than a trilene knot from there to my flies that I am going to fish depending on conditions: improved clinch and more importantly, the non slip knot.

When I want to do something bad enough I will figure it out. I want to be able to tie the trilene, improved clinch, and non slip knots in the dark when I can't see what I am doing. I will get there with enough practice.

Improving my casting is up next. I am not bad but want to get better. I am going to take fly casting lessons from TCO and Orvis. I want to be better than good.

If I can just knock out the tying what I want to do and make all of the casts that I want to make, I will soon be where I want to be.

I want to be a good fly fisherman and think that I am close to being there.
Try this loop knot instead. Much easier to keep the loop small.

I've been a uni knotman for years - I brought it to the trout stream from my saltwater days - but this winter I was looking for a quick terminal knot I could tie with forceps and frozen fingers and landed on the 16/20 aka pitzen knot. I love it and will probably use it this spring. It's smaller than a uni, wastes minimal tippet, and with forceps I can tie it in a couple seconds. And it clicks when it seats which apparently confirms that it seated correctly and the knot is good.

Pitzen wastes way too much tippet! Need to have quite a length of the tippet to tie it easily.

Not with forceps, at least for me. I can get it done on shorter droppers than a uni would require and leave a tag less than half an inch. Might be a different story without forceps, I've honestly never tried.

here's a video of how to do it with forceps

I agree with others.... Davey knot... single and double

Back