Kish creek

nymphingmaniac

nymphingmaniac

For those of you near Lewistown (Mkern?)
I noticed there was a very sharp spike in discharge (and gauge height) on Aug 24th that has since sustained. This is odd. Is there an explanation for this? This spring they were do construction around that area. Did something happen or was the gauge recalibrated?
Anyone observe something strange about the stream since that date?

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/pa/nwis/uv/?site_no=01565000&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,00010

Attachments

• kish.jpg
    kish.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 10
It is anomalous. The area recieved a good dose of rain on the 27th, which may explain why it "stayed up". But the rise on the 24th doesn't appear to be connected to any rain event? Good catch.

Though I would point out, in the grand scheme, it's not quite such the epic rise that it appears to be.

Attachments

• longer term.JPG
    longer term.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 8
I know they're doing work on the bridges in the narrows area, but I'm not exactly sure where the gauge is placed. They could have built a temporary working platform out in the stream that would divert water around it and essentially "fool" the gauge. That could be a possibility.

The gauge is near the work zone, just downstream. There was no obvious obstruction in the spring. But something may have occurred to divert water towards it since the flow tripled above the the average on the Aug 24th.

I submitted a query on the USGS site. It is possible they recalibrated the gauge. If this was the case I'd think they post a message.

It's not the magnitude of the increase that's a concern but the reason for it. Did they dump a bunch of construction waste and divert the stream and destroy habitat? Pump water or concrete (remember tea creek). Is something going on with Honey creek?

PS this is why it is important we fight to keep funding real time reporting from these gauges. This is one way potential problems can be identified and investigated.

Called PFBC. They got back to me said that this is part of a staged reservoir draw down required to do work on a dam. They have been keeping an eye on the process. It will be drawn do further this fall.

Good stuff, good to hear there's nothing unscrupulous going on. I have a fondness for those Reedsville streams...

nymphing,

Did you learn what reservoir was being drawn down?

Kabutt wrote:
Good stuff, good to hear there's nothing unscrupulous going on. I have a fondness for those Reedsville streams...

You must like chubs....I have fished Kish, went where Landis told me. caught 9 chubs on top.....then last year I wen tot Honey. honey, there ain't no fish there neither. There, thats some spot cooling for ya..

If there's fish in them criks, I sure couldn't find'em.

They haven't fished well in recent years for me, either. Five years ago - different story. Lots of meat fishermen in those parts...

to summarize the problem in one word, the Amish.

thats two words... :-D

I haven't been on Kish at all this year... I do best on the stretch from that little walking bridge in Reedsville down to where the road comes across the creek (not 322... old 322 I think it is, I've lived here all my life and can't remember the names of roads haha). You have to fish it late/early? in the season to be successful. I usually go between Post spawn/Jan.

Honey has fish in it, just have to know where to go :) Tea does too, actually, Tea is probably my favorite creek around here. I haven't touched them at all though due to all this low, warm water.

I was wondering about the increase in flow too - I was up in the area that weekend. I did not recall a rain event, but it seemed all the local streams, were running high, almost out of their banks.

Back