Killing chickens for Hackle

I killed and skinned my first rooster last year, more as a learning experience and to see if it was something I would be ok with trying more often... I know most of the commercial breeders kill their birds with gas to not damage feathers... I used a zip tie. It was quick, clean, no blood and I didn't have to deal with a container and CO2. I wasn't too concerned about damaging some feathers. I used a scalpel and skinned the neck to saddle as best I could and just tacked it to cardboard with borax all over the meat side... I wouldn't say it was difficult, I also have enough reputable company necks that I haven't even used a feather from that bird yet. From my experience I would say if you want good quality tying feathers, just buy em!

Chaz wrote:

I have my doubts about the cholesterol thing. I eat eggs every day, and my 'C' is down from what it used to be. The high 'C' in eggs was a myth anyway, the people that ate lots of red meat that had high 'C' also ate eggs, but in the study, they didn't test the eggs. Eggs have mostly HDL 'C' anyway so they're actually good for you, but only if you raise the birds yourself, because you control what they eat.

True

Studies suggest that dietary cholesterol has minimal effect on blood cholesterol. Has more to do with fat intake and other things as you said.

And back to the eggs. There is no difference in cholesterol content between fertilized and unfertilized eggs.

But ... I have read is that fertilized eggs contain more lecithin than unfertilized. I have no idea if it is true, nor do I really care. But the health nuts like to hear it. ;-)

Back