Kids Fly Rod

SBecker

SBecker

My son will be turning five in May, and I am thinking about purchasing him a fly rod for Xmas. My question is What Size rod should I start him with and what weight? I really do not want to spend a ton of money on it, because I am sure he will break it. If he does not, the other little 2yr old monster certainly will. Suggestions?

eagle claw 7' 5wt.

$20.

nigh impossible to destroy.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Fly-Fishing/Fly-Fishing-Rod-Reel-Combos%7C/pc/104793480/c/104721480/sc/105571980/Redington-Minnow-Kids-Fly-Fishing-Combo/711974.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-fly-fishing-fly-fishing-rod-reel-combos%2F_%2FN-1102570%2FNs-MIN_SALE_PRICE%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104793480%253Bcat104721480%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104721480%3Bcat105571980

7'9" for a 5wt. Its the one I taught kids with when at Orvis. They can use this rod for years too..

The redington minnow as jdaddy said. You cant get much better than that for a kids fly combo.

I’m fortunate to build my own rods, my daughter (10) graduated to a 7’2” 4wt and my boy (5) is casting a 4’10” 5 wt and I plan on moving him up to a 5’8” 4 wt. My daughter and Son have problems cast 8’ rods just too long. So buy a shorter rod they (or yourself) can always use it as a niche rod on some stream if you normally do use shorter rods.

Joe E

+1 for the eagle claw very functional throw on some assembelence of a reel and get a cheepo wf .7' will be a great length kinda heavy for a kid but yet at the same time those rods are absolutly indestructable. also nobody ever said you have to get a longer rod when you get older. my dad has used s 7' rod his entire life without any major issue. will u be undergunned somewhat in some situations however what he has done most the time is pair the rod with the next weight higher. risky yea does it wear out a rod faster yea but does it make that smaller rod very versital yea

gfen wrote:
eagle claw 7' 5wt.

$20.

+1

I have a 7' 4wt that I use for tight brookie fishing and it works just fine. Walmart special at $20. I've seen them cheaper here and there too.

Redington Minnow is floating around Sierra Trading Post right now.

Yeah, my son just turned 5 too and I got him a minnow. While I have opened the box yet for him I figured I wait till spring. It seems decent and much better than the first flyrod I had! TDB bought one for his son as well. I think Sierra had then on clearance for around $70 or so.

+1 for the minnow, though my 4 yo seems to like it for chasing around the dog more than he does for casting practice...:)

quillfly wrote:
...what he has done most the time is pair the rod with the next weight higher. risky yea does it wear out a rod faster yea but does it make that smaller rod very versital yea

Nonsense. Using a line that is one weight heavier than what is stamped on the rod will not "wear out a rod." If it did, hooking and landing even average size trout would quickly destroy any rod. The stress is much greater when playing a fish than what is incurred when casting a line.

Kev

gfen wrote:
eagle claw 7' 5wt.

$20.

Agree...as a matter of fact I just picked one up on Fri at ****'s for $15. I may even go out and catch a brookie today with it, gotta make sure it works :)

My 7 year old does a decent cast with the Eagle Claw I bought her at Wally World and a $2 reel I picked up at a flea market...

I have a 6' Phillipson glass rod w/ 6 weight line on a Medalist. I think this will be my daughter's first rod. For the size, it really shoots line out.

Back