Key West Trip

jay348

jay348

Sadly, my fiance's family sold their place up on cape cod last year, so we decided to head in the opposite direction this summer. We spent all of last week in Key West, and it was a great time to say the very least.

Captain Luke Kelly was recommended by a buddy of mine, and I would do the same in a heartbeat if anyone is looking for a guide in the lower keys. He was very knowledgeable about the fishery and patient with the first timer that I was.

We had about an hour window where the fish were rolling on top and feeding as they moved from the channel up onto the adjacent flat. I blew numerous shots at some truly monster fish over 100lbs; but fortunately, I was able to connect to a much smaller fish at around 30lbs. No complaints from this first timer.

Fly Fishing for Tarpon from Joe Yurkanin on Vimeo.

That looks like a lot of fun. Thanks for posting the video.

Nice one Joe I will at the Keys first week in August for a week . I will be staying on Islamorada :hammer:

Nice fish Jay. You will never forget your first Tarpon. I caught my first 37 yrs. ago. Still remember it very well. Bee addicted ever since.
Very cool you got a vid. of it as well.

GenCon

Thanks for the kind words!

GenCon wrote:
Nice fish Jay. You will never forget your first Tarpon. I caught my first 37 yrs. ago. Still remember it very well. Bee addicted ever since.
Very cool you got a vid. of it as well.

Yeah I'm already feeling that addicted part. Twice now I've restrained myself from placing an order of tying materials I wont need for at least another year. Only a matter of time...

Fredrick wrote:
Nice one Joe I will at the Keys first week in August for a week . I will be staying on Islamorada :hammer:

I'm jealous of this. Had this been a "fishing trip" I probably would have wound up in the same place. Be sure to document.

I cant wait I'll try to make as much documentation as I can watching your video gets me even more exicited about my trip.

Very cool!

Go fish the "humps" I'd bet an AJ on the fly will wear anyone out. GG

Awesome video thanks for sharing, fly fishing the keys is on the top of my bucket list....

Back