Key West Recommendation

yellowhammer

yellowhammer

I have a Key West family vacation in October and am looking for advice on selecting a guide. Picking one off of the internet blindly seems like a crapshoot. Can anyone recommend a good guide?

Also, we'll be staying at a house in Cudjoe Key with access to a boat (not a flats skiff or anything). What could I get into on my own?

Thanks for any advice!

speaking as a Floridian ,would suggest getting the guide for your first trip --there are plenty of fish but a lot more water so knowing when and where to be can take days---
Google up Bass pro shops and look for their saltwater shop in the keys -- they can put you on to a good guide .
once you know the drill you can count on action.

Go with John Smouse.
He's mainly a light tackle guy but he put me on lots of permit and cudas and he didn't mind me doing some FFing.
Good fella. . .

KW Guide

Used Capt. Bill Houze in September while down for a buddies wedding. He was a good time and made the not soo great fishing still a good time!

I've fished twice with Luke Kelly, and had nothing but good experiences. He was friendly, knowledgeable, and not too intense considering some of the stories i've heard about flats guides in the area. I believe he's based out of sugarloaf, but had no problem picking me up in key west.

http://lowerkeysflatsfishing.com/Florida-Keys-Flats-Charter-Fishing/Lower_Florida_Keys_Flats_Sight_Fishing_Charter-Guide_Service-backcountry-fly-light-tackle.html

Thanks for all the help, everyone! Much appreciated.

Mike Douin Tackle Buster Charters (217-494-0278) is right in Cudjoe Key great guy real good guide fun to be with. He is spin fishing only but if you have access to a boat he really knows the area.
I spent the month of February in Big Pine Key fished the flats on the bay side right up aganist tha mangroves averaged about 20 baracuda each day.

Dave_W wrote:
Go with John Smouse.
He's mainly a light tackle guy but he put me on lots of permit and cudas and he didn't mind me doing some FFing.
Good fella. . .

KW Guide

X2 I've fished with him with spinning gear there were 3 people on the boat he is a good guide but book him early he fills up quick and fishes close to 260 days a year so he may not have many open days

Back