Ken's Crazy Ant

FrequentTyer

FrequentTyer

I just saw this video and thought some of the folks here might enjoy it. Henry (Beadhead2) showed me this idea last year and it has been floating around in the back of my mind ever since. There was a lot or buzz around the pattern at the Somerset symposium in January. I'm not a big fan of foam, but this is just too cool to not try:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoRIrt4po-A&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Very cool Mike. Insta ant, gonna do that one. I like foam... Thanks.

Wow!!! I am not a foam fan,normally,but that is a sweet fly!!! I will def have to try it.

Looks great. Hopefully my wife got me that foam for Christmas lol!

I love a good bed, bath and beyond tie. I'll be sure to cut 6" x 6" pieces and put them on the internet for sale quick as blue heron's
EZ ant body . I can smell the profits already.

This pattern is super easy to tie and is very realistic. I can't wait to fish it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 3
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 3
Here is a size 14 rubber legged version. I love playing with new materials.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 3
Man those look good. Nice Dan.

I found the material at Wally World after searching around a bit. Tied a bunch up and they really "fit the bill". Can't wait til summer to start tossing them!

IMG_20140106_174004_zps8850b225.jpg

I was going to get it there too but couldn't see getting the gigantis roll they had of it. You probably got a couple thousand worth of ant material on your hands. That's going to work great.

Jack I'll hook you up with some the next time I see ya. I have WAY more than I'll ever be able to use.

Cool Dan I appreciate it. You know, I'm really starting to like having breakfast at the Neptune Diner!:)

Lol....now I just need Roger to bring me some grouse feathers and this could be another epic show. ;-)

You need a grouse skin? I'll bring one along for ya.

Nice! I never would have thought to use that stuff for fly tyng. I have a hard time tying ants that I really like. I'll definitely give this one a try.

I think it's so cool that he was looking at this shelf liner material and saw ants. Good stuff.

I picked some up yesterday and tied 3 up on a size 18 hook. I'm slow and inaccurate at tying, and these worked out well. I got the white shelf liner and made them black with a Sharpie. Tonight, I'll do some brown and red. Only concern i have is this seems to limit size. Of course, whpo am I to judge ?

Carpet underlay pads also work

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA==/z/gxMAAOxydB1SgAuc/$_35.JPG?set_id=8800005007

I think that's the checkerboard pattern which is no bueno...

Back