Kendle 2/0 (Kelson)

eunanhendron

eunanhendron

Two sides of pintail (should be teal) are from two different pairs feathers to give to different banding patterns. The lower sides i tied in to compensate for the empty space under the wing. The upper pair, i tied in as a roof.

I put a nice thick butt on this one, as i like them and i think the black from the herl balances nicely with the head.
Body is white floss, overwrapped with goldbeater skin, then '8 turns per inch' of gold tinsel, still mylar as i've no vintage stuff....which i'm sure would look infinitely better, but i worked with what i had.

in the wing i split up the blue, yellow and GP, with a slab of kori on top.

Tails are from a pale peach golden head i have....real flat and a nice soft yellow, perfect for this fly.

The blue turkey and hackles i dyed myself. Sky blue cushings perfection acid dye....

Perhaps the best wing setting i've ever achieved

Hook is a 2/0 Sunday style Limerick

For your enjoyment.

Eunan

2013-12-05-22-37-13-709_1.jpg

Jesus Eunan, that is sweet.

Very nice. You should put that one in a display box.

Thanks for sharing. That is exceptional work and you should be very proud. Dying your own materials, I've never taken that step. You have definitely taken tying to another level. Absolutely beautiful. I must be getting older but I Looked longer at your photo than I would have looked at a centerfold in Playboy. What is happening to me?

Thanks guys.

Dyeing was just next progression in tying. There are some colors not commercially available, and some shades of popular colors are not to my liking.

For this fly i wanted the blues of the wing and throat to be the same, as well as the yellows. The latter matched well with what i had, but none of my blues were identical so i ended up just dyeing my own.

It actually a fun step....you can make your own colors and shades, sunburst for example. As well as dye specific colors for specific projects.

All part of the process of tying a fly, at least in my book.

Eunan

Not only is that a beautiful fly, but I got to look up goldbeater skin. Amazing!

Back