Kellam's Bridge Closure

wbranch

wbranch

I saw this comment on a Delaware River guides Facebook page today;

Kellams Bridge is set to be closed from March 5th to June 29th and then again from Sept 5th to November 15th. This is for repairs & painting.

During that time no boating traffic will be allowed under the parts of the bridge under repair. Navigation devices will be used to direct boat traffic to open channels.

Slalom boating and rowing courses offered in Hancock.

Well, there goes fishing that riffle on the north side of the bridge this season.

Fisherboy,

Well, there goes fishing that riffle on the north side of the bridge this season.

I guess it depends on where you are coming from. If you are coming from the north west you could just go down PA Route 191 past Equinock and continue down until you see a left hand turn for Kellams Bridge. If you are coming up from the south on Route 97 you could cross the river in Calicoon and go north on PA 191 and turn right onto that road I mentioned.

Gotcha. Always have soaring eagle on the pa side of the river as well if all else fails.

Fisherboy,

Do you have a preference for the PA side of the river? You know that both NY and PA have a reciprocal agreement where if you have one license or the other you can fish anywhere in the river although I don't think you can park on a side where you don't have a non-resident license. I have both PA & NY so I can park wherever I want.

I have both as well being a new york resident. I do favor the pa side upriver of the bridge. Fishing that riffle from the ny side can be downright treacherous.

Fisherboy,

Fishing that riffle from the ny side can be downright treacherous.

Kellams Bridge was the very first section of the Delaware River I fished back around 1967. Harry Darbee and a fellow named Ed Van Put turned me on to the Delaware. I agree the NY side is just too tough to wade and I think you get a much better nymph drift from the PA side. I used to be able to drive up onto a farmers property and fish what is probably still called the "Third Riff". That was great fishing with maybe one or two other guys all weekend.

This is also the very first section I fished on the Big D. I filled up my waders twice trying to get at the big fish rising below the bridge. I stood on that bridge and watched fish feeding for an hour. One brown I swore was 6 pounds or more. I even camped under the NY side of the bridge one evening.

Ive met a few people who have come very far to fish the delaware in that spot as well. 2 guys from england who flew all the way here to fish it. Also had a girl tanning topless on the bank there behind me while I fished one day.

Fisherboy wrote;

Also had a girl tanning topless on the bank there behind me while I fished one day

You must of been a bit distracted having a topless water nymph sitting behind you while you were trying to cast to those rising trout.

When I first started to fish the main stem Delaware we were in the midst of the Free Love and Braless era. I will never forget seeing my Dad's face (he was probably in his early 60's and grew up in very modest times) when a canoe came paddling down the river with two topless young ladies who made no attempt to cover up their endowments. It was quite amusing and he had much to chat about later.

Wouldnt the summer be the best time to paint it, not take a break?

Tim,

It's being done by the gubmen.... therefore, common sense is not a factor.

I think it might be because the period June 30 to September 04 is the peak of the summer months and it might be unsafe for the workers and painters to be dangling under the bridge.

Another great coincidence!!!!!...the first time I fly fished the Main Stem was at the Kellam's Bridge in 1972.I stopped to buy flys from some gentleman who lived in a trailer,maybe a small cabin, on the NY side near there. off Rt 97.
He was very knowledgeable about the hatches,or maybe he was trying to sell me more flys:)........Whatever,he actually took me to a few spots,one of which was the PA side close to Kellam's Bridge.

Small world
Tom

AFISHN,

I stopped to buy flys from some gentleman who lived in a trailer, maybe a small cabin, on the NY side near there. off Rt 97.

I kind of remember that place. Was it in Hankins? My Dad used to stop by the Esso gas station just on the north side of Hankins Brook, get gas, and chat with the owner. I'm pretty sure the gas station is long gone.

That gas station is a skeleton (if you mean the on on the right as you head south). The shop tomorrow is talking about closed just before I started fishing the area. I think it was McFadden fly & tackle or something like that.

krayfish2 wrote:
That gas station is a skeleton (if you mean the on on the right as you head south). The shop tomorrow is talking about closed just before I started fishing the area. I think it was McFadden fly & tackle or something like that.

Lol....Joe Mcfadden. You're getting old Kray...I guess we all are...

http://www.scdemocratonline.com/archives/2004/sports/11November/19/joe.htm

Wow, can't believe I remembered that guy's name. I called his shop number 4-5 years ago and he still answered! Seem like a pretty decent guy and my understanding was that he used to have some really good patterns as well. Unfortunately I never ended up in there before the shop closed.

Back