Kayak fly fishing

All extremely helpful info fellas....many thanks.

I'm not sure if they still do it but French Creek Outfitters used to let you demo yaks on the water .

Hey Fred...NSH are awake down here. FYI

sarce wrote:
Hey Fred...NSH are awake down here. FYI

yeah, unfortunately I can’t get out for the next two weeks I’ve been dying to go out for snakes ,bows and some saltwater ????

I have Nu-Canoe Frontier 12 ' , does exactly as it says, very stable , can stand up walk to the bow and turn around, can stand up going thru mild rapids though that does take getting used to, and the fly casting bar is awesome, the seat is like a lazy boy swivels 360 , everything is on tracks so its adjustable, lots of accessories for add on, but it is heavy, especially when your put in / take outs are steep like on the Clarion river , I see that Walmart sells a compact one ton winch for 60.00 that can be attached to your ball hitch , and can be used manually or electric

jrcll wrote:
I have Nu-Canoe Frontier 12 ' , does exactly as it says, very stable , can stand up walk to the bow and turn around, can stand up going thru mild rapids though that does take getting used to, and the fly casting bar is awesome, the seat is like a lazy boy swivels 360 , everything is on tracks so its adjustable, lots of accessories for add on, but it is heavy, especially when your put in / take outs are steep like on the Clarion river , I see that Walmart sells a compact one ton winch for 60.00 that can be attached to your ball hitch , and can be used manually or electric

Now it is my turn to say thanks...

Thanks.

I like this one.

Holds 1-3 people, or in my case, me and someone else.
650 lb capacity.
Only weighs 77 lbs.

My only problem is that I am a cheap bastard, but this is a good place for me to start looking.

I rented a nucanoe demo for a day at Blue Mountain Outfitters in Marysville last fall. It was a 10’er. Did not have the casting bar. Although I could still stand up and cast well. Liked the seat too. Was high and comfy so I could also cast sitting down. I put it sideways in some currents, slid it in behind rocks to park it, paddled up thru some rapids. Liked it. Very stable. Nice platform for the fly line. I’d have to do something about the rod holder as my flyline kept getting caught in it. A bit pricey but I’m tempted to pull the trigger on either a ten or twelve foot.

Plus with the stern being squared off so to speak, you can install a trolling motor, and with the fwd dry bag hatch being able to be removed , you can secure your batteries under the hatch,

That is a great way to load a kayak if you don't care about dents and scratches on your car.

Get a smallish kayak for flat water - you can get a nice one for 500 or less. You don't really need to stand anyway and get a framed raft for rivers.

Kayaks on rivers are just a mod of transport for most anyway. Paddling and casting a fly rod on moving water is so much fun and not frustrating at all lol

Back