kayak fishing spots on the Juniata

S

SanMan

hello all...I'm still pretty new to the PAFF forum so forgive me if this has been asked before...I did some searching but couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Also, I'm not looking to get any info on anyone's secret spots or anything but general info would be appreciated.

I just pulled the trigger on a new fishing kayak and will be trying some small-mouth fishing from it in the Juniata river. I will be fishing alone a lot and would like to find some spots that I could relatively easily paddle upstream and float back to my launch spot so that I don't need a second person or vehicle. I used to do a float in a canoe from the "Beacon Lodge camp" to the boat launch in Newton Hamilton but it's been quite a few years since I did that and I can't remember if that would be a good spot to paddle upstream or not. We always had a 2nd vehicle involved when I had the canoe.
Also, I would love to find some spots further upstream from Newton Hamilton...even the Frankstown Branch would be great if it's doable.

I've kayaked many times but never for fishing and I've always been floating downstream so I wasn't sure how feasible it is for my plan. Any help would be great!

Thanks!

First of all, where are you? It sounds like you're in my neck of the woods. Secondly, basically anywhere on the Juniata you can easily paddle a kayak upstream. When you hit a really fast/hard riffle just hop out and walk your boat up through it if need be. I've paddled way far upstream and flavored back to my launch point many times on the Juniata. Just pick an access point and go for it. I know the upper Juniata from Point Access to Mifflintown very well.

here ya go

https://www.amazon.com/Paddling-Pennsylvania-Kayaking-Canoeing-Keystone/dp/0811736261/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

jifigz wrote:
First of all, where are you? It sounds like you're in my neck of the woods. Secondly, basically anywhere on the Juniata you can easily paddle a kayak upstream. When you hit a really fast/hard riffle just hop out and walk your boat up through it if need be. I've paddled way far upstream and flavored back to my launch point many times on the Juniata. Just pick an access point and go for it. I know the upper Juniata from Point Access to Mifflintown very well.

I live in Altoona so it's a fairly long haul to Newton Hamilton even though I did enjoy fishing that stretch the few times I did it back in the day. I don't have a problem driving for an hour or so on the occasion but would really like to find some spots closer. I am more of a trout fisherman and fish the Little J a lot but I'd like to get back into smallies over the summer.

I can't get my kayak until August 1st though so I'm just trying to do some pre-planning which is almost as fun as the actual fishing lol!

Fredrick wrote:
here ya go

https://www.amazon.com/Paddling-Pennsylvania-Kayaking-Canoeing-Keystone/dp/0811736261/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=

Looks interesting...maybe I'll pick up a copy thanks

Agree with jifigz - most sections of the J are slow and shallow enough that you can paddle upstream this time of year. There are plenty of public access sites and many unofficial ones located near bridges or road pull-offs (keep in mind that if you use a PFBC boat access site, you need a launch permit or registration).

Do some exploring - you're in for a great time.

Dave_W wrote:
Agree with jifigz - most sections of the J are slow and shallow enough that you can paddle upstream this time of year. There are plenty of public access sites and many unofficial ones located near bridges or road pull-offs (keep in mind that if you use a PFBC boat access site, you need a launch permit or registration).

Do some exploring - you're in for a great time.

Thanks Dave_W...I'm really looking forward to it!

I'm not all that familiar with the Frankstown Branch as I haven't fished it much. However, like anywhere else, just pick a spot and explore. If you plan to flyfish keep it simple. Carry small flies and basic flies. The Frankstown is not nearly as productive of a smallmouth river as is the main branch of the J. I'd carry small clouser minnows, maybe some clouser crayfish, woolly buggers, and some kind of surface fly/popper. That's all that you should need. Good luck and have fun.

Back