Juvenile Smallmouth

Swattie87

Swattie87

After all the bad press the Susky has been getting for its poor Smallmouth spawns the last several years, it's always good to see one of these guys. 2010 YOY probably. Caught in a tributary to the Susky. I also caught a few of his bigger brothers and sisters today, but this one definitely was my favorite.

Attachments

• 07-12-11.jpg
    07-12-11.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 8
I agree - YOY from last year. He's a healthy fella. Good to see.

yes, always good to see.

I have caught quite a few that size in the past few months. A few even smaller than that.

I miss those little guys

Fredrick wrote:
I miss those little guys

Tunkhannock Creek is absolutely loaded with these fellas...healthy little buggers, too, and aggressive.

Speaking of little guys...I found this picture from last summer. Also a 2010 YOY...caught in late July, 2010. I was spin fishing that day and I usually only fish two lures spin fishing...Joe's Flies and 2 inch grub tails on 1/32 oz jigheads. I don't remember which I caught him on, but either way the lure was bigger than he was. Smallest SM I've ever caught.

Attachments

• 07_31_10_005.jpg
    07_31_10_005.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 3
sniperfreak223 wrote:
Fredrick wrote:
I miss those little guys

Tunkhannock Creek is absolutely loaded with these fellas...healthy little buggers, too, and aggressive.

Yep. I caught a pile of them at the sub-station near the Dunkin' Donuts!! Right at that old jack dam. What fun!!!

I caught a bunch like that last weekend on the Frankstown branch of the Juniata. Even the bigger fish we caught were all very clean and healthy looking.

He jumped, right? The little guys I've caught have always been acrobats.

barbless wrote:
He jumped, right? The little guys I've caught have always been acrobats.

I don't remember on the real little guy since it was last year. The one from the first post did though...He jumped/skipped the whole way in pretty much. Came out of a rock eddy in pretty heavy current too.

Back