Just moved to South Jersey

troutopotomous

troutopotomous

Hi everyone,

I just moved to South Jersey (Egg Harbor Township) in August from Reno, NV. Wife got a big job out here so we made the trek east. Been an avid angler my whole life and fly angler since my teens. It's a whole new world for me out here but I am excited to explore PA for my trout fix. I live for wild trout in scenic spots and am willing to hike to get to them. Also very conservation minded and looking to find a good TU chapter to be involved in when I can make it (not sure what the status of the chapter down here is).

Anyway, nice to meet you all.

Glad you are here . I was born and raised in South Jersey, out side of Vineland . I moved to Vermont when I was 33 . I do miss the fishing opportunities around there from largemouths, stripers, catfish , flounder , overlooked carp, and especially the pickerel fishing by and in egg harbor twnshp. The members here will help you get your trout fix . I too used to make the trip from South Jersey to fish PA . Enjoy all your new fishing opportunities.
John

Another Jersey guy here. I live just outside of Philly. Welcome. I pretty much fish the eastern part of PA. PM me and I can give you some pointers. It’s a shame that anything for you to fish for trout is an extra hour’s drive.

I fished Nevada in the Mt. Rose area. I fished the Walker, Carson and Truckee Rivers. Beautiful area.

Welcome to the site from a born and bred central NYer. I've been tying flies for over 50 years and hosting fly swaps for the past 14 years. Feel free to check out one of the swaps, if you'd like - we always like to see a new face in the crowd.

Either way, I do look forward to seeing your posts!

Kim

You’re in a great location. Striped bass begins in a few weeks. Go catch a few of them and you will abandon PA trout in a blink. That’s what happened to me any way. either way, enjoy.

Welcome, a few years ago there was a rumor going around that there was a stream in South Jersey that held brook trout. I never found it. You're pretty much in a warm water, salt water environment. The nearest wild trout stream to you is probably Valley Creek in Valley Forge National Park. It's a good 2 or 3 hour drive depending on traffic from your area. Most of the streams and creeks in SE PA are stocked with trout. NJ does stock some of the lakes and ponds with trout in South Jersey. There are trout streams north of you in the state. The only one I'm aware of is Stony Brook in the Princeton area. There is a TU chapter in South Jersey. I just don't know where its located. There is a fly fishing club located in Ocean City. The South Jersey Coastal Fly Anglers. They're a diverse club. Since I'm a member, I know they run a couple of cold water trips for trout each year plus local trips in salt water and the local lakes. There is a lot of fly fishing available in South Jersey. It's just not for trout.

Welcome aboard.Jerry above has geat advice.
Another alternative:The South jersey Flyfishers(www.sjflyfishers.org) is a 30 year old org.,you might consider. We fish both salt and freshwater.A few of the members have camps in Central PA that host annual trips there.They have occasional trips ,primarily trout in PA.
Some members fish ponds for LM in South Jersey.Plus every Saturday they have a fly tying group that meets in the late Fall to early Spring at Camp Edge in South Jersey. I live in West Chester,PA and fish 95% of the time in Central ,PA for trout and in the summer for SM.
I would be happy to show you around a bit,if you desire.I am retired .
That said:I would definitely check this PAflyfishing site frequently...it's an an unbelievable storehouse of knowledge IMO and a very well run site.
Don't hesitate to contact me for info...I check into this site a few times a week.
good luck n TL
Tom C

Welcome, a few years ago there was a rumor going around that there was a stream in South Jersey that held brook trout. I never found it. You're pretty much in a warm water, salt water environment. The nearest wild trout stream to you is probably Valley Creek in Valley Forge National Park. It's a good 2 or 3 hour drive depending on traffic from your area. Most of the streams and creeks in SE PA are stocked with trout. NJ does stock some of the lakes and ponds with trout in South Jersey. There are trout streams north of you in the state. The only one I'm aware of is Stony Brook in the Princeton area. There is a TU chapter in South Jersey. I just don't know where its located. There is a fly fishing club located in Ocean City. The South Jersey Coastal Fly Anglers. They're a diverse club. Since I'm a member, I know they run a couple of cold water trips for trout each year plus local trips in salt water and the local lakes. There is a lot of fly fishing available in South Jersey. It's just not for trout.
The rumor is quite true. I’ve actually walked the stream counting brook trout fry. It’s an amazing place. It comes out of a cold spring in the South Jersey sand. Estimated trout population is around 30-35. The property is owned by a guy who is not particularly environmentally friendly.

The South Jersey of TU disbanded several years ago.

Just wondering if any of you "Joisey" folks have seen or have a copy of the paperback bound study titled, "New Jersey's Trout Program" completed & published in the 1980's by the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection, the Division of Fisheries & Shellfisheries & the Division of Fisheries ?

The study breaks NJ Trout Streams & Lakes into 2 classifications and the count at the time is beside each classification:

Trout Production Waters (wild fish) - 78 - streams (213 miles)/0 - lakes​
Trout Maintenance Waters (stocked) - 81 - streams (313 miles)/23 - lakes (16,053 acres)​
(I haven't read it in a long time but I seem to recall the some stocked streams also had wild trout).
It also contains maps and a listing of all the streams surveyed at the time by county and includes stocking information and lots of other good stuff.​

I've had a copy since the 1980's but don't remember where or how I came by it although at the time I did fish a bit in Warren County and occasionally at the Musconetcong.

I realized the information is dated but when I used to tell guys in New Jersey that I had a list of all of the wild trout streams in their state they would tell me there was no such thing. ;)

It definitely came in handy back then when I was "blue lining" in the Garden State although on the maps, all bodies of water were highlighted in red... :)

As I haven't fished on the other side of the Delaware in decades I have no idea what resources are available today.

How did everyone overlook snakeheads

Last edited:
Welcome. My nephew just moved to Reno last month. Besides the Truckee, is there any other place he should be paying attention to? 2 weeks ago, he hit a good olive hatch. Broke off a couple and landed one smaller fish.

Hi krayfish2, Reno is a pretty nice spot for fly fishing. Aside from the Truckee, the next big ticket spot is Pyramid Lake, although we're already at the tail end of the shore season there. I only had a couple seasons fishing the lake but it is an awesome place. Lahontan Cutthroat trout with 5-10 lbs fish being normal and larger fish 15- 20+ lbs pretty common. Aside from the fish size, just a very extraordinary place to fish. It's basically a winter fishery so its great to hit for the few dead winter months that the Truckee is in winter mode.

Aside from that, going an hour or two up or down 395, and you can get to some other pretty legendary California rivers. Hat Creek, Pit River, and McCloud river are all about 2.5-3 hrs north, and the Carson and Walker rivers are both 1.5-2.5 hours south.

There are some other spots as well like the Little Truckee River, middle for of the Feather River, and quite a few still waters. Should keep him busy.

Back