Juniata

MKern

MKern

I'm pretty new to fishing the river for smallies.

I am fairly confident in spin gear after this first year, but really want to be successful with the fly rod.

What line do you recommend for the Juniata during the summer months?

Also, what leader setups do you guys use?

I have looked a intermediate sinking lines from 1" to 6" per second, but have no idea how fast is too fast or not fast enough.

I have also seen "bass" leaders that are 5 foot long and some that are 9 foot long. I know that if the bass are hitting they aren't going to be line/leader shy. To me 9' is probably too long.

Any advise is welcome.

I would use this line or any similar Bass line

I also like to hand furl my leaders for bass here is a video on how to do it Hand furled leaders I like to use at least ten pound test tippet for bass they are for the most part not leader shy. I usually go anywhere from 7-9 feet in total length for my leaders when I use a floating line .

I try to keep it as simple as possible for bass (or trout for that matter).

6 weight floating line. Leader length around 6 feet. A little longer or shorter is no big deal. I will sometimes even use 10 lb test straight mono leader with an 8 lb test tippet. Weighted fly or split shot if you want to get the fly down. That setup has worked well for me, and it's really low maintenance.

MKern wrote:
What line do you recommend for the Juniata during the summer months?
Also, what leader setups do you guys use?

Any weight forward, floating line that matches your rod will work fine. No need for a sinking line during summer.

For a leader, I like a length of about 8' with a butt of about 30lb, mid-section of 20lb, and tippet of about 14lb. No need for fine tippets in bass fishing.
Keep it simple.

I do a lot of Smallmouth fishing and have tried different lines.
I fish a 6-weight with Sage Bass11 Taper(WF290GR) with Rio T-11
sink tip. Tippet 6ft mono 3x. This set up turns over large flies and cast very well.The Sage line was bought on closeout. Hope this helps.

Thanks all.

I am finishing up wrapping my rod today and should have the rod finishing on by Saturday.

All of this advice has help tremendously.

Here is my ne rod, fresh of the turner.

It's a 9' 8 weight Batson Revelation RX7.

The main wrap is chestnut, the first trim is dark charcoal, and the last trim wrap is mustard yellow.

I'm very phases with how it turned out, just have to wait for warmer weather.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    73.7 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 3
MKern wrote:
... just have to wait for warmer weather.

It won't be long. I usually start hitting the bass rivers in mid March depending on weather.

Nice rod BTW.

MKern,

Nice job on the rod! Smallie fishing is an awful lot of fun on the long rod. If you have time to put into it on the Juniata this season, you will catch many Smallmouth Bass with your new outfit. Keep an eye on those water temps, soon it will be game on! Keep us posted on how you are doing. Good luck!

I know the river very well and land smallies year round on the river with fly gear. For the summer, any line will work. I always use floating lines, either double taper or weight forward, and a long leader. The long leader, 9 feet or so, let's you ply the deeper holes and sections rather effectively with the floating line. Sometimes going deep in the "dog days" is the ticket for big smallies.

On a side note, I'll fish with you anytime. I live right on the Juniata and there is a huge section of fantastic wading water right there that I'm VERY famine with. It is just up the road from Lewistown 8 miles or so.

Yeah, and as for weight, 6, 7, or 8 lines are all great and have their own advantages and disadvantages. I'm sure that you already knew that, though.

I was thinking about getting a 6 weight line (rod is an 8 weight). Or should I go with a 7 weight?

MKern wrote:
I was thinking about getting a 6 weight line (rod is an 8 weight). Or should I go with a 7 weight?

^ I don't get it?

Why would you choose to underweight your rod and use a 6 or 7 weight line for an 8 wt rod. For bass fishing you will be casting some big heavy and/or wind resistant flies and you will need a heavy line to carry those flies. Underlining your rod will most likely make casting bass flies more difficult.

I agree with Fredrick, in one of the above posts, when he recommended buying a bass taper line which has more weight up front to carry bass flies.

Good luck with your rod.

I was thinking of casting a further distance, that stepping down in weight would make it easier at say 60 feet plus.

Dont buy a 6wt line for a 8wt youll go crazy and probably kill your shoulder. Get an 8wt line

I disagree with some previous posts. A 6 weight rod and line is perfectly fine for smallmouths (and largemouths, for that matter.) You often don't need to fish huge or really heavy flies and if you do it is still capable with a 6 weight. Plus, sometimes I like to target the redbreasts and fish small topwater bugs and such. Sometimes you will take surprisingly large fish from these typical "small fish" sections or features in the river and a 6 weight is plenty to handle even the largest smallie. So, the 6 weight is a great all purpose tool to allow you to comfortably fish a wide variety of flies and species. That said, the 8 weight is my favorite weight for the Juniata, but I will often take the six. It just depends on what I plan to do that day in the river.

Another thing. I have tried special bass tapers and such and that isn't the route that I'd go. Personally, for bass, I like a regular cheap scientific anglers aircell. That General purpose line is my favorite for bass fishing and I've never noticed much difference between using that and a specialty line. I'd save the coin and put it into something more worth while.

codym21 wrote:
Dont buy a 6wt line for a 8wt youll go crazy and probably kill your shoulder. Get an 8wt line

Didn't notice you were only advising against putting a 6 weight line on an 8 weight. That I couldn't agree with more. I thought that you were saying to write off the 6 weight for bass, that I do not agree with.

I thought id kill my shoulder trying to cast an 8 weight line at distances of more than say 50 feet?

Back